Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Week Of Good-byes

Every staff member and employee has a valuable place at Casa.  And, when one leaves, for whatever reason,  it leaves a hole and it is hard to say good-bye.  This week we had to say good-bye twice.

Thursday, Christina left.  Christina was our intern.  She had been here over a year.  She was so timid when she first came.  But, aren't we all?  Christina kind of did whatever needed to be done.  She started helping Nicole with the preschool.  And then when Emma Kate was born early and had so many health issues, Christina stepped up to the plate and began doing preschool.  Under her guidance, we saw Yair start talking more.  Everyone loved Christina.

Thanks Christina, for a job well done.

Today was our employee Reina's last day to work here.  I arrived in Honduras to live on September 28, 2007.  Reina was hired on October 1, 2007.  We almost needed another housekeeper when Reina was hired.  We hired her as a housekeeper for Casa and she also cleaned my house one day a week.  And she has continued to clean my house one day a week since then.

Reina has done anything we needed her to do.  After Sandra left, Reina did Teleton for a while.  She did a great job at that.  Then when we opened the cottage, we moved her over there as the full time housekeeper.  Reina has been here longer than several of the employees and some of the kids.

When I paid her this afternoon, I waited  until she left the office and then I teared up a little bit.  Marc and I took her home this afternoon.  As in a lot of work places, our employees become friends with each other.  I watched as she told the other employees and the kids good-bye.  I jumped in the car because I could tell I was going to start crying.

I had Marc stop at KFC.  I bought a great big bucket of chicken for Reina and her family.  When she got out of the car, we hugged.  And we both cried.

I am going to miss Reina.  We have hired a capable person in her place.

I hate good-byes.  I am glad this doesn't happen every week.


No comments: