Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A New School Year For Rosy And A New Employee

Rosy is deaf.  She attends a private school  in Tegucigalpa.  All the children are deaf and Rosy needs to be in this school.  She is beginning 3rd grade.

The first year the school had bus transportation to and from Loarque which is about 15 miles from here.  We got her there and picked her up everyday.  It was a challenge some days, but we did it.

Last year, there was afternoon transportation to Loarque.  I took her all the way to school most morning.  Marc, Dorian and Stacey helped, too.  It is 25 miles to school.  And fighting the morning traffic in Tegucigalpa took anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 hours.  On occasion, it took three hours.  This was definitely a larger challenge.  Our God is faithful and He gave us what we needed to keep going.

I love Rosy and  I know she needs to be in this school.  I was willing to keep doing whatever it took to keep her in this school.  But, to be perfectly honest, it was hard and I was tired most of the time from needing to leave so early.  And, while we are being honest, I am not as young as I once was. 

With the price of gasoline at $3.92 a gallon, and rising every week this was getting expensive to get her school.  Karen and I prayed an prayed and talked over several different solutions.  We have decided to hire someone to ride the bus, the public transportation, each morning and afternoon with Rosy. 

We hired another sweet lady from our church, Suyapa.  Yesterday Dorian took Suyapa and Rosy so Suyapa would know where the school is.  Yesterday afternoon, Rosy and Suyapa walked in the door at 2:00, much sooner than we ever got home with her when we picked her up at Loarque and then drove up the mountain.  Both Rosy and Suyapa were smiling.  A good sign, indeed.

A few little bugs need to be worked out still.  Suyapa and Rosy were leaving at 5:45 this morning.  The time may need to be adjusted one way or the other depending on when they arrive at school.  Suyapa will stay in town all day and be back at the school when Rosy finishes.  Even though she works for us, the day will pretty much be hers to do with as she pleases as long as she is at the school when Rosy gets out.  There will be days, she will run some of the other errands for us.  Suyapa was more than willing to agree to some of those other errands. 

We are so excited about this new arrangement.  Like I said, I would have continued to do what needed to be done, but I feel really good that I am not making that morning drive every day.

God be praised, this is good.  Very good.

Terri

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Hooray! I'm so glad you have help with all that running around!!!

You know I always read every post to your blog, even though I don't always reply.

I love you, friend.