Saturday, May 9, 2009

Washing Clothes


In the United States, almost everyone has a washer and a dryer. We wash clothes frequently, and sometimes, if we get a little spot of something or dirt on our clothes we change several times a day. One reason we can do that is because it is so easy to wash our clothes.


In Honduras, and other third world countries, it is nowhere near that easy. The above picture show how many, many Hondurans have to wash their clothes. I watched this woman for a long time. She scrubbed long and hard on each piece. She then used just the minimum amount of water to rinse the clothes.


This woman had a place to wash in front of her house. Many are not that lucky. In many poor communities the rocks are stacked by the river and everyone uses the same spot to wash. They always seem to have a system worked out, because I have never seen a bunch of people waiting to wash their clothes.


A flat rock has to be on the top. I have never seen one built very high off the ground. That means a lot of stooping and back breaking work to get the laundry washed.


No, I do not have to wash my clothes that way. Thankfully. If I did, I probably get rid of a lot more of my clothes. And aren't you thankful you don't have to wash your that way?


Terri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am very grateful for many of the blessings of living in the United States. More than those, are the blessings of living as a Christian and being able to help spread His gospel. Thank you for that opportunity, and for being willing to be a mother to many children who have none. God bless you and Happy Mother's Day!
Love, Suzan

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
Having family in visiting the washing machine never stopped from Tuesday till Sunday and my washer happens to be going at this moment so indeed I am grateful I wasn't scrubbing on a rock to get towels and sheets washed after having all the beds in the house slept in for days this week.

It was wonderful having 3 daughters and their families here although we missed Gena.

Not sure it would have been so wonderul having all of them here if all I had to wash with was a rock to scrub on.