Thursday, May 7, 2009

Buying Lace

I was still riding high and in complete awe of the victory God poured out on Tuesday and continued to pour out yesterday. I had to get up and not worry about what was happening on Trey's blog. It was Wednesday, the day we feed at the dump.

I already had 300 pieces of bologna thawed and 25 loaves of bread stacked on my sofa. I made those sandwiches thinking this may the last time for bologna sandwiches. When Milton, Luis and I got to the dump, the people were calmer than they had been in several weeks. Do they know better things are coming? Sunday is Mother's Day just as it is in the states. Several wished me a happy mother's day and hugged me.

When we left the dump, we had another task to accomplish. Rosy needed 4 yards of lace for a mother's day project at her school. I went to town on Saturday and went three places before I found lace. I bought four yards.

We got a note from the school on Monday that it was the wrong kind. OK, I am not a crafts or sewing person. I thought lace was lace. After we left the dump, we were on a mission to find a particular lace.

We were shopping in El Centro. I thought I was not brave enough to go in that part of town by myself. Now I know I am not. If I was brave enough to go there by myself, I could never learn to negotiate the narrow, one way streets.

We saw a fabric store and Luis and I jumped out of the car and went in to ask for the lace. I had the sample in my hand. I soon found out most of the fabric stores do not carry anything but fabric. Lace, ribbons, buttons, etc. are sold in another store. Sometimes, but not always next door.

The store next door did not have the lace we needed, but told us where we might find it. We went to the next store, more than a block away. They did not have the lace and gave us the name and directions of yet another store.

The places we passed through on the way to the next store, I was glad that I had wisely left my backpack in the car. They much too narrow and too many people for my backpack to be along for the ride.

We did this drill at least two more times until we finally found the right lace. I paid fourteen lempiras or seventy cents for four yards of lace. I know you can't beat that price. We had walked several blocks and walked back to the street where we started, but not the same path, and soon found Milton driving along looking for us. We got in the car. I bought the boys lunch for helping me with this little lace project. Thankfully, they knew their way around down there.

This morning when I took Rosy to the bus stop, you can make sure I checked her backpack to make sure that lace was safely inside.

Terri