Monday, May 18, 2009

Spanish Classes

I have been in Honduras over a year and a half. I know a lot more spanish than I did when I came. But to me, it is not coming to me as fast I thought it would or thought it should. I know lots of words, mostly nouns. I can't put together good sentences. And forget about grammatically correct. I understand far more than I speak, but even then, too many times, I only get part of the conversation. Or sometimes none of it. It is a long ride to Teleton with Sandra. Once we get beyond the niceties, it is pretty much a silent ride.

I decided I was going to change that. The lady that owns the bakery in Santa Ana has helped some other people with spanish. I stopped there Saturday and arranged to start taking spanish classes. I started today.

Not only do I need to do this, it is going to be fun. There were times I wondered what I was doing. Like when I had to get up and write the alphabet on the white board. It has been a really long time since I have had to write my answers on the board.

I am going to work hard at this. I am going to conquer this and it is not going to conquer me.

When we stopped at 5:00, my brain was numb. The walk home was very refreshing and I did not think all the way home. In spanish or english.

Terri

1 comment:

Donna said...

I'm so proud of you! I'm positive that you will conquer this language obstacle!
Isn't it amazing how God has given our minds the abilty to stretch and grow beyond our wildest imagination! So YOU GO GIRL....all the way!
Donna