Friday, May 1, 2009

Holiday

As the end of one month nears, I begin looking at the calendar, checking for Teleton appointments and such, and planning the time around the first of the month that Ican go to PriceSmart and buy the monthly groceries. Last week, Friday, May 1 looked perfect. I later found out May 1 is a holiday in Honduras, the day of the worker. I guess that might be similar
to our Labor Day.

There was no school day because it was a holiday. All the kids came home yesterday with lists of things they need to take to school by Monday. Besides the grocery store, I had three more stops to make.

After I did payroll, I left for town, armed with my lists. As I neared town, I noticed there wasn't much traffic. How odd. On a Friday afternoon. I went to the fabric store and it was closed. I went to the hardware store and it was closed. Holiday in Honduras really means holiday.

The only places that were open were the American chain restaurants. I was sure PriceSmart would be open. They are always open. They are owned by Costco in the United States. Sure enough, PriceSmart was open and not even crowded. That was the bonus for the day. To shop at PriceSmart and it not be crowded.

We try to plan our trips to town and do as many errands as we can while we are there. I have to go back to town tomorrow. And on a Saturday, at that.

I have lived in Honduras for over a year and a half, but sometimes my American way of thinking is still in control. I never, for even a second, thought that stores might be closed on a holiday. Offices yes. But what is a holiday without some good shopping.

Next time I will definitely know not to plan my errands and shopping on a holiday. Unless, of course, I am in the States.

Terri

1 comment:

RobinLynn said...

Wow Terri - It is so hard to believe it's been over one year!! Wow! You have done so well and I am so very proud of you and your adjustments. You are a good example.
Blessings