Thursday, November 29, 2007

Didasko

Someone Marc knows sent a donation for food for Didasko. Didasko is another children's home with 30 precious children. This morning Marc and I went to Pricesmart and began to buy rice, beans, sugar, oil, all the staples here in Honduras. We just couldn't help ourselves, we also bought some pancake mix, some candy, some Nestlesquick. It is too close to Christmas for these sweet children not to have some treats. We loaded the green truck and drove to end of the road. For anyone that has been to Didasko, you know perfectly well what I am talking about. Some of the children helped us unload and all of them were excited. The director's wife raised her hands and said "Gracias a dios," thanks to God. I just love it when people say that. We got ready to leave and every single one of the children hugged both Marc and me. As we were leaving, they all ran up to the road waving and saying adios.

After lunch, we went to the warehouse where all kinds of activity was going on. The mayor of Tegucigalpa bought several tons of rice, beans, flour, spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, sugar, lard, etc and had it delivered to the warehouse to be combined with the tuna, oysters, and sardines. One thousand food bags are going to be assembled and taken to some of the poorest families in Tegucigalpa.

Everything that is done here is important, but I really like knowing food is getting to hungry people. I cannot imagine waking up and not knowing how I am going to feed my kids today. We thought these bags had to be assembled today. The last of the deliveries wasn't unloaded until around 3:30. We thought we were going to be working through the night to get it done. I knew I would be exhausted but to think about hungry people getting food or not getting food, I was more than willing to do that. That would be ultimate food packing. Sheron Seldomridge, don't you wish you were here. We were willing to pack food bags as long as it took, but we weren't terribly upset when we found out a crew of people were coming in at 8:00 in the morning to assemble the bags. We have everything set up so it will be as easy as possible to pack 1000 bags of food. And the best part is, one thousand hungry families will have food next week.

Sorry, no pictures tonight, even though I took some great ones today. The internet is way too slow to upload pictures. Maybe, I can post the pictures later.

Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
I wanted to stop by and let you know that I read your blog regularly but don't always comment. Great post on feeding the hungry.

But you make me weary!!!=)
I don't know how you manage all that you do! December (and every month) seems to be in full swing for you and I hope you enjoy your late Thanksgiving meal today with your family . I hope your flight was a safe one and you arrived with no incidents....You got a bit of a scare when Marc arrived home at the very last minute before the fIight left.

I know those who will get the one thousand meals will be thankful.

Here I am still sitting in my pajamas .
Sara had 22 guests (or more ) last night at her house for her "purse" party. I hope she got lots of orders so she can sew and close out her year on a good note. Those that r.s.v.p were many and I am sure enjoyed a nice meal she served. I cooked all day long yesterday to help her with the meal. I made brownies, chocolate chip cookies, cake, blueberry cobbler, and corn bread and potato/brocoli soup. Too much of what I baked went in my mouth and I don't need it.

If I don't make it over to your blog very often between now and the holiday or when I see you on your visit to Columbus, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas filled with love, peace and maybe a little rest!

I am a bit of a cry baby when it comes to sad movies. I watched AWAY FROM HER the other night. My childhood friend, Linda has the same disease and the actress even favored Linda. I cried in my pop corn.

Relish some quiet moments sitting by a fire with a blanket and one of your favorite cups of beverages.

Hugs to your kids and that precious grandaughter, Camille. Love, Ginger