Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Playing Outside at Casa de Esperanza

Today Karen's mom was leaving to go back to Ohio. Karen, of course, really wanted to take her to airport. That meant Marc and I got kid duty today. Karen was going to leave at 2:30 and was going to be back at 4:30. Marc was leaving at 4:00 to take one of the kids to the doctor. I thought all the ladies got off at 4:30 so I am thinking piece of cake. Imagine my surprise when I found out everyone but one person got off at 4:00 and about the same time, that things at the airport at been delayed and Karen would not be back at 4:30 and wasn't sure when she would be back. I am still not speaking real good spanish. Oh well, that didn't matter, we just played outside.

I pushed little Marjuri in the swing. And I pushed Marjuri in the swing. And I pushed Marjuri in the swing. She never gets tired of the swing. It has been a long time since anyone I know likes to be pushed that long. Once in a while, Katty would get in the swing beside Marjuri and I pushed both of them. Some of the boys got oranges from one of the trees. Rudy got a knife and began to peel one orange at a time. He then would cut the orange in two pieces and call two of the others to come get one. The kids were putting sugar on their oranges. The oranges I have been eating have been so sweet. I could not imagine the need for sugar. When my turn came, I soon found out the need for sugar. I have never tasted a sour orange until today. Rudy peeled many oranges and made sure everyone got some. As he peeled, the peelings were going into the flower bed. He looked down and saw the mess and sent someone in the house for a bag. I got Antonio started on picking up orange peels and soon Rudy finished peeling the oranges and the finished picking up the mess. Then every0ne lined up at the gate and two at a time raced each other. I began to take some video. Oh my, how they loved seeing the replay. They began to think up all kinds of things for me to video. Some of the girls danced. Some of the boys played soccer. Everyone wanted one more photo.

At 5:00, the kids have to begin taking showers. I remained outside with the ones that were still out there. I began thinking from where these children have come. Some of them were never allowed to be children. Some had their childhood stolen from them. All came to Casa de Esperanza hurt and afraid to love and afraid they would be hurt again. Yes, they are kids and there were some spats. But I saw and heard happy, smiling, laughing kids. Kids that need love and are receiving love. Kids that have come a long way. Kids that share after having learned to fend for themselve. Kids that help each other. Kids that care for each other. There are many sets of siblings here. In every instance, the oldest sibling is still the protector for his or her younger siblings. From outside, where I was, I could here talking and more laughing. When the last child was indoors and in the shower, Rudy and I finished getting dinner ready. Rudy loves to help and showed me just the way everything should be done. I told him we made a good team and he smiled.

I am thankful for Casa de Esperanza, the House of Hope, where these sweet kids now have a home and place of hope.

Terri

No comments: