Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Cold Dark Day

Monday I began the task of getting caught up on the bookwork. I had been without my computer and my files for over two months. I separated a lot of things and made a bunch of different piles on Monday. I just barely got going into the actual work. I knew yesterday I was going to have to hit it hard. I am slowly working away. Marc is in here on his computer and we are visiting as I work. Around 11:00, the power went off. This happens frequently. Usually everything is up and running in just a few minutes. My little house is not the most well-lit when the lights are on. And when they're off, it is pretty dark in here. I pulled a shade and sat in the chair and began to read. It was another cold, windy, overcast day. With the several trees around the house, even having the shade open, did not help a lot. Opening the door helped some. But it was cold. So, do we sit in the dark and be cold or do we have a little light and be colder. I opted for having the light so I could read. We are still thinking this won't be long. We ate lunch with the kids up at Casa and still no electricity. Marc had ordered some light bulbs that were suppose to be in at 2:00. Usually, in Honduras that means not before 2:00. Around 3:00 he decided he would go get the bulbs. I went with him. At least I felt productive by going. At that time we began to get concerned about the lights being off so long. Calling the electricity company is not as easy as it is in the states, but Karen finally managed to get it done. When we came back from getting the bulbs, the electricity company truck was in town. Marc and Dorian went back down there to ask them to come on to our place when they finished. That was around 4:30. They said sure in half an hour. Half an hour Honduran time. About 5:30, they went back down there again and waited until the people came with them. By this time, it is good and dark, and even colder. The kids in Casa are trying to do homework by candlelight. I watched them struggling to see their papers. I turned on my flashlight and shined directly on Pamela's paper so she could see. She quickly raised her head with a great big smile on her face. Since this complex is private property, the electricity company said they needed 200 limpira to do anything. Perhaps that was taking advantage of the gringos. It happens all the time. It didn't really matter at that time. Marc pulled the money out of his pocket and in less than 5 minutes we all had light again. All the kids cheered loudly.

Once again, we were thankful for the blessing of electricity as so many here don't have it. Once again, I sit here facing the task of getting caught up with this paperwork.

Be thankful for your electricity today. I am.

Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
We all take so much for granted. Don't we? Ginger