Monday, November 19, 2007

Grocery Shopping


Marc and I had to go to Tegucigalpa today for some errands. We stopped at the warehouse because some of that tuna is coming to Casa de Espranza. We drove to the warehouse and my arms and legs began to hurt just thinking about unloading those containers. Actually, my arms haven't quit hurting yet. We were in the green truck so we weren't going to take everything that is going to Casa today. We loaded several cases in the truck. I am already wondering what wonderful things Dilcia and Elvia will cook up using that tuna. Then we went to PriceSmart, the Honduran version of Costco, but not near as much selection. We had a few groceries to buy for ourselves and the list for Casa de Esperanza was quite long. We go to the fruit market every other week for fruits and vegetables. Karen orders meat, bread, milk and eggs and has all of that delivered. What else could be left? You would be surprised.
Marc took a basket and went to get our groceries and I took one and started on the Casa list. After I got laundry detergent, fabric softener, bleach and disinfectant and I had completely filled one of the huge PriceSmart baskets, including the bottom. I went and got another basket and started filling it. I must admit it was probably quite a funny sight to see a gringa pushing around an extremely full, extremely heavy cart, pulling another cart with a spanish/english dictionary in her hand. That was me. I am sure I would have laughed had I seen someone else doing that.

I found everything on that list. I had to walk up some of the aisles more than once. It makes no sense how the store is laid out. If someone would have asked me, I would have told them to put everything used to bake on one aisle, all the soup on one aisle. But no one asked me so I had to search for a few things.

After paying for our things and paying for the Casa things on separate receipts, we had to be checked at the door, just like in the states. In the states, they give a quick glance at your receipt and then a quick glance at your basket and you are out the door. Not so in Honduras. The guy checked every single item in the basket against the receipt. I was in shock, but it was so funny. I was trying not to laugh and Marc was standing there shifting his weight from one foot to the other. Then we put all of that in the back of the truck which is already have full with tuna.

After driving up the mountain and getting home, there were 15 little people ready to help us unload. Thank goodness. Even the smallest ones helped carry something. There was a couple of little scuffles because someone wanted to carry what someone else had. Back and forth, back and forth we all went carrying in the groceries. When everything was in the house, a couple of the kids cried because they wanted to help more.

Then a few helped Marc and I carry our groceries down to the house. Whew! Grocery shopping is done for a while and we got home before the rain began.
Terri




1 comment:

Ginger said...

Wow Terri do you ever stay focused and utilize every minute of your time. You are one of the hardest workers I have ever known.
I know you have been unloading trucks for days and grocery day was not that much difference.
Thank you for sharing your life.
The children are quite a sight to behold..."little helpers" who are doing all they can to do their part. How amazing. I love to read your blog. Your words come right from the heart and speak about issues that we need to hear. We should all devote ourselves to providing opportunities to others.Keep up the good work and never lose sight of what God has placed in your paths.SOMEBODY IS LISTENING TO YOUR MESSAGE...YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT YOU ARE NOT IN HONDURAS TO BE SERVED BUT YOU ARE THERE TO SERVE. That is what God requires of all of us. Praying constantly for each of you.

I know there will be a tuna casserole sitting on the table soon.
love, Ginger