Thursday, November 1, 2007

Elvia And Other Things

Last week I wrote about laying pipe at Elvia's house so that she would have running water at her house. The water is only turned on 2 hours each morning. Everyone that has running water turns it on for the whole 2 hours and collects in a tank so that they will have water when they need it. The group from Walnut Creek wanted to buy Elvia a tank and a pila as well. A pila is a large concrete basin on which one can wash clothes. By hand. Sort of like a rubboard. Not that I would know anything about that. This morning we told Elvia she would be receiving those two things in a week or so. She began to cry. I began to cry. She said thank you, but thanks be to God first. Just where thanks should be given.

Elvia's little girl, Gina, comes to Casa de Esperanza when Elvia is working. She doesn't much like us gringos anyway. She stood there watching as Marc talked to her mother, having no idea what Marc was saying, and seeing her mother was crying. Gina was really giving Marc the evil eye. Marc may not ever have a chance of Gina warming up to him now.

The Walnut Creek group left other money to be spent in very specific ways. As that money is spent, there will be more blogs on the outcome.

We left for town because we had to get two people from AIM at the airport. We got there a bit early and had a cup of coffee while we waited. Shortly before the flight was due to arrive, we walked outside. We were standing in front of the airport and could see the plane. For all you folks that think a landing is scary when you are inside the plane, you should stand in front of the airport and watch one land. The plane just barely clears the tops of those mountains, then made that quick plunge onto that short runway. I was just standing there thinking there is no way that plane can stop before it hits this building. Of course they do stop, every single time. People applaud inside the plane after the pilot gets it landed. I was outside the plane and seriously thought about applauding. It is a truly amazing thing to watch a plane land on that runway.

After Chris and Pat got off the plane, we went to eat Honduran food. The menu actually had tacos and gringo tacos, burritos and gringo burritos and so forth. I am getting a bit more daring in what I eat. Not much, but a bit. I ordered chicken tacos and not the gringo kind. They may be the best thing I ever ate, possibly surpassing pupusas.

I have one prayer request tonight. The preacher here at Santa Ana, Noel, had to leave unexpectedly today for Nicarauga because his brother had killed himself. Noel and his family were so distraught, as anyone would be. Please pray for them as they face this horrible crisis.

Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
Prayers for Elvia and Noel. Everytime that I read yet another amazing story, my mouth ends up opening in awe of what you and marc do daily. It makes me appreciate your compassion all the more.
I started to joke around and say something like aren't you happy that you have someone like me to help remind you to blog?
When in reality I just hope that it is theraputic and healing for you to write of such amazing things. Of such things that we never encounter daily. I do not know if you feel a bonding but by you expressing these stories to me and others, (all 3 of us ) I feel a bonding between you and us. It gives me hope that someone special is making a difference.

My grandson, Dalton is coming with Janet Hines to Columbus. That was a nice bit of news to hear. I hope that Columbus, MS Christians can make a difference in Honduras just like you.

You and your work are in my prayers always.
Love,
Ginger