Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving











Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. Family, food, fun and football. That is what Thanksgiving consisted of at our house. Thanksgiving is not a holiday in Honduras. For most people, it was business as usual. A Thanksgiving meal was prepared for the children at Casa de Esperanza and it did not have any rice, beans, tortillas, or tuna. For Americans, it was pretty traditional. The kids had fun and while there desserts to be had, which is a treat in itself, most of the kids chose popsicles. That was what they considered a treat. We had the workers join us for the meal. Their plates were filled and they were served today. Dilcia and Reyna sat down and enjoyed the meal and enjoyed being served. Elvia did not want to stop working. I don't know if she thought she wasn't suppose to take a break or if she felt guilty having a big meal when her family wasn't, but she had to be made to sit down and eat. And she cried. She ate a bit and then asked Karen if she could get up.

This evening we went to town and had Thanksgiving with some other American missionaries. Again traditional Thanksgiving food. No spanish spoken. We had a really great time enjoying this time with others who, like us, were far from their families today.

I think I have always been a thankful person. This year as I reflect on my blessings and what I have to be thankful for, I realize it is much more than I ever thought about before. Some of those things include, but are not limited to my kids and their spouses, our sweet little granddaughter, whom we will get to see next week, a house in which to sleep in every night and one that the wind does not blow through, friends and family that encourage me and spur me on each day, and the opportunity we have to be here trying to make a difference, one person at a time.
I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving today with family, friends, food, fun and football.

Terri




1 comment:

Sherry said...

Terri, while you & I have never met I wanted you to know I have been blessed by your Blog.(I have followed Marc's Blog for a long time, but it is nice to have a woman's perspective!) My son, Andy, was an intern with Marc this past summer. Andy still talks about his time serving in Hondo. Our family is THANKFUL for you & Marc and the way you are allowing God to use you to minister with compassion and serve in love. One day, we hope our entire family can join you all for a short time in the field.

Blessings to you both,

Sherry Hubright