Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Passport Renewal

This morning I went to the US Embassy to renew my passport.  That was a painless experience.  Rare is the occasion that I say that since moving to Honduras.  I have had this appointment scheduled for two weeks.  In that time, I have often found myself reflecting on the last 10 years.

Ten years ago, I was preparing to come to Honduras for the first time, thus, the need to get a passport.  I had no desire to leave the USA.  For any reason.  Not to go on vacation in Europe and certainly not to go on a mission trip to a third world country.  Marc and Nicole had already been to Honduras two times.  They wanted me to join them, but did not nag or push me.  I am quite sure they prayed me into it, but they did give me my space.  More than anything Marc and Nicole said or did, it was the words of my good friend, Cynthia White, that pushed me over the edge to make the decision to go.

Even with passport in hand and bags packed, any reason would have been good enough to stay home.  I liked living in my comfortable world.  No one told me about the landing in Tegucigalpa.  Marc tried to control everything I heard. He knew I might back out. 

Don't get me wrong, I am glad we are here and I love what I do, but had I known when I applied for that first passport that I would be living in Honduras when it was time to renew, you better believe I would have never boarded that plane in Atlanta. 

I remember the 2nd or 3rd day when my heart was broken.  We were in Los Pinos and I saw a house made out of sticks and garbage bags.  I knew I would be back and back again.  But, I still had no plans to live here. 

I serve an amazing God that can mold this heart into one that is truly thankful that I get to be here and that I get to be a part of these kids' lives. 

And, I have learned, or I hope I have learned, never say never.  When I do, God certainly has a way of humbling me.   I don't think I will even think on where I might be the next time I renew the passport..

No comments: