Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Water Truck And An Alternate Route

This morning I knew it was going to be a different kind of day.  I just did not know how different.  Thirteen of the the kids had to be at school at 8:00, like always.  The two sixth graders had to be there at 9:30.  There was a first grade meeting at 11:00 and Reina was attending that and then the kids get out of school at 12:40.

Marc went at 8:00.  I took Pamela and Brayan at 9:30.  Again, I went at 11:00 to take Reina and get the first graders.  And then I returned at 12:30.  The kids were out of school a few minutes early and they were waiting on me.  Reina had them all together and everyone got in the van.  I quickly called roll and we started home.  I have more staff on Tuesday than any other day and I was leaving for the afternoon so that I could see Matt, Nicole and Haley off at the airport.  I was glad we were a few minutes ahead of the regular schedule.  But when in Honduras, I should know I am never going to be ahead of schedule long.

A huge water truck had broken down and blocking the road both directions.  In the dry season when there is no water, these trucks pump water out of the river and then sell it.  Think of a fuel truck loaded with water.  Several people jumped out of their cars and begin to try to push the water truck.  I could not believe it.  I did not think as much as that thing weighed it would go any where.  I was much more amazed when it began to move.  Not far, but it did move some.  Some of the traffic went around.  A bus could not get around and I was not going to be able to get around in the van. 

Someone came to the window and said if I would turn right, there was an alternate route that would get me through.  To my right was a huge drainage ditch, several feet deep.  All these men began to direct me.  I said I couldn't do it and they said I could.  They almost directed me into the drainage ditch.  With the water truck in front of me, there wasn't much I could do.  One man said something about the gringa that could not drive.  One of the other men told me to back up.  Pamela was sitting in the front seat and Reina right behind her.  They both told me not to back up, that a tire would go off the road.  Some of the kids were scared and some were having a grand time.

I sat there and shook my head no that I could not back up.  Then this great big Honduran man, with a smile to match told me he would get me out.  I jumped up and let him.  Elvia called from home to see where we were and I could hear Reina explaining.  Once I gave up the driver's seat, I began to earnestly pray. 

Someone behind us had several cars back up and the new driver backed up, pulled forward, swung way to the left, barely missing the water truck and still barely keeping all tires out of the drainage ditch.  Once we made the turn, I loudly proclaimed "Gracias a Dios."  I thought he would give me the wheel.  Not to be.  He took off on the alternate route, which was far from a good road.  I am thinking I have kidnapped.  How easily I gave up the wheel to someone I did not know with 12 of the kids, an employee and my son-in-law in the van.

This man, with his huge smile drove on the this bumpy, narrow, horrible road like he was on a super highway.  Pamela and the drive kept reaching out and pulling in the mirrors.  Thank goodness they fold in.  I am sure some of the people we saw on that road had never seen a car on the road and certainly not a great big van.  I was still praying.  When he got his through the worse part, the driver began to yell "applause, applause."  And we all clapped, much the same way people do when a pilot makes a safe landing at the Teguicigalpa airport.  Another "Gracias a Dios."

When we got back to the road, there was a police truck blocking the way and this guy began honking for the police to get out of our way.  I knew where we were but Matt did not and was saying where are we.  It took him several attempts to turn back onto the main road.  He got out and I got under the wheel and safely drove us home. 

By the time we arrived, everyone knew what had happened.  The employees all wanted to know if I was nervous.  Of course, I was.  But we made it safely.  Gracia a Dios. 

Once we got on the road, I started laughing hysterically.  Some of the kids thought I was crying. 

Another day in Honduras.

Terri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Reminds me of a time in Red River when we (with all 4 kids - they were little) "blindly" followed a stranger with a huge knife on his belt back into the woods to look at something. I don't remember now what we were going to look at, but later I thought we might have been a little too trusting that day! Praise God that turned out all right also!! love you, your sister in law