Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hellos And Goodbyes

This morning I did the airport run as our new friends from Tennessee left and interns arrived.  We are not into full blown mission group season, yet.  But it is definitely starting. 

As we have work in and around Tegucigalpa, we always make friends in the villages.  On departure day, some of those new friends find their way to the airport to say good-bye one more time.  I noticed that happens with other groups as well.  These are always emotional moments.  I saw several people hugging little Honduran children, with tears streaming from the eyes of both the child and the American.  Others are crying as they have seen things to rock their worlds, taking those things to ponder in their hearts for some time to come.

Once I said my good-byes and watched others saying their good-byes, I made my way downstairs to wait on the arriving passengers.  I nearly always see someone I know, today being  no exception.  Having someone with which to visit, certainly passes the time quickly.

It is fun to watch as people eagerly await a group, a family member or a friend.  There is an excitement downstairs that is not to be found upstairs.  People rush into each others arms, sometimes with tears of happiness.  Some come walking out shell-shocked, after that landing.  The groups are fresh and eager to get started.

There will be many hellos and good-byes this summer.  Many trips to the airport.  I am so thankful for all the groups, whether they are coming to work with us or another organization, that come to help the people of Honduras.

Terri

No comments: