Friday, May 6, 2011

Pila Lessons

There is a rule here at Casa de Esperanza; if anyone wets the bed, they have to wash their clothes and bed linens on the pila.  Some of the kids are experts at this. 

Today, Josue was soaked after naptime.  His clothes, including his shirt, were wet.  Since he slept on top of the covers, both the blanket and the sheet were wet. I asked Dilcia if everyone had to wash their things on the pila.  She said yes.  Knowing it was time for her and Reina to leave, I said I would show him how. 

We gathered up the wet clothes and wet sheets and started toward the pila.  Josue was really excited about this adventure.  I was sure it would not last long.  We rubbed the soap on and I showed him how to scrub.  He was enjoying every minute of this.  He really liked taking the soap and rubbing on the clothes.  We have a water shortage and I was dispensing the water.  He would scrub hard.  I had to smell the clothes to make sure the pee smell was gone, then we would rinse and start on the next piece.

He continued to think this was great fun.

The expert pila washing person, Katty, came out and sat on the steps and watched for a while.  Then she just had to give some advice to both of us.  She thought Josue was nuts for thinking this was so much fun.

We saved the blanket for last.  After we wet the blanket, that thing was heavy.  Josue starts laughing hysterically.  I am thinking what is wrong with you, this is hard work.  Josue worked on it a while, I worked on it a while and then Katty took over.  She and I wrung as much water as we possibly could out of the blanket.  I told him he had to help me hang the clothes on the line.  He handed me the clothes pins.

I hope he doesn't wet the bed very often.  But if  he thinks that is so much fun, he might have a new job.

Terri

No comments: