Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Getting It

I remember learning to write in cursive and wondered why we couldn't just print everything.  I had trouble remembering which way to go with the J and the F.  All those curves.  Did we really need all that?  I wasn't sure.

The first and second graders did not have school this morning.  After the other kids left, I sat those first and second graders down to do homework and work in their Aprende conmigo workbooks, which are handwriting workbooks.  Of course, with girls, there was a lot of giggling and talking and playing.  I hated to be too strict this morning since they were out of school, but I didn't want to spend all morning while they each did five or six pages.  One by one the girls would finish and go outside to play, leaving fewer at the table with me.  As one left, the girls remaining would get more serious.  I think it finally clicked, "I get this done and I can go outside."  Katty, the eternal procratinator finished, leaving only Maryuri and Reina.  It was obvious Reina just did not get how to write a little b and a little f in cursive.  I could feel her pain.  I got Maryuri going pretty well and tried to help Reina. 

I wrote several b's for here.  I covered her hand with mine and wrote it so she could get the feel of it.  I erased and erased and erased.  Reina just looked at me.  I finally moved on to the f.  It was the same story.  We used a lot of scrap paper so we didn't have to erase her workbook so many times.  I asked Dilcia to explain it to her.  Dilcia tried and tried.  Then Elvia came and tried to explain.  She was using the same things I had done. 

Finally, she got it.  Elvia and I said "yes" at the same time.  Reina beamed.  She knew she got it.  She did the page of f's with each one getting better.  They were far from perfect but so much better than where she started.  I was encouraging all the way.  And Reina was smiling all the way.

At naptime, I asked Kathy to go with the boys and I would go with the girls.  Pamela looked at me and said "what am I supposed to do?"  My reply was "come, I will show you."  I showed Pamela Reinas b's.  I think Pamela thought I was dumping a hopeless situation in her lap. 

After the girls were all soundly sleeping, I walked out of their room to find Pamela and Reina at the table.  Reina was completing the second page of b's.  Again, not perfect, but we could tell they were b's.  Reina was smiling again.  And there was more praise from me.

How frustrating it was to try to teach something Reina could not comprehend and how fun it was to be there when the light came on and she knew she had it and could write those letters.  I wonder if she is asking herself why she just can't print everything.

Terri

No comments: