Monday, May 23, 2011

Josue

Josue is three years old.  He is the baby at Casa de Esperanza and, perhaps, a bit spoiled.  He has been here 1 1/2 years.  When he came here, he had terrible sores all over his skin.  He weighed eighteen pounds and was nearly dead from malnutrition.  What little he did eat, did not stay with him very long.  He was regularly seeing a doctor.

He soon began to eat better and grow.  He is still little for his age, but so much bigger than when he first came.

A couple of weeks ago several of the kids had diarrhea, including Josue.  This passed quickly for all but Josue.  This morning he went to the doctor.  Josue has some intestinal problems.  He has to have 3 shots and for today, a liquid diet of sprite, gatorade, apple juice and pear juice.  He could have rice water for lunch.

This little boy is an eating machine.  He was not going to be happy watching everyone else eat.  I bought myself a sprite and Josue and I went out on the back porch with his rice water and my sprite.  I made a bigger deal than was truly necessary about us having lunch on the back porch.  Just the two of us.  

At one time, Cindy joined us for a few minutes.  Josue downed every single bit of the rice water.  Dilcia put a little sugar and cinnamon in it for him.  I guess he liked it. He was telling everyone that he beat me.  My sprite was nearly full. 
 
What happened after that wasn't too pleasant.  After that was dealt with, I put him down for a nap.

The doctor said Josue was still malnourished.  He has really sensitive intestines.  We don't know if this is something to deal with forever, or if, as he continues to get proper nutrition and grow, he will outgrow.  Please pray for this little boy.  We want him well.

Terri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know that I will be praying for him!!! So sorry he is sick. I love that little man!!!!

jl

Amber said...

we will defiantly be praying for this little guy!