Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Fast

I committed to fasting and praying today during dump day.  I have fasted before, for up to three days.   Marc and I ate a late lunch around 2:30 yesterday.  And that was to be our last meal for 30 hours. 

The ladies that cook for Casa de Esperanza have their feelings easily hurt if I say no to their cooking.  I told them early today that I was fasting so they would understand.  They did not even offer their food today, for which I was grateful.  Dilcia and I talked about how hard it is to pray a lot on a day of fasting when  working.  With the children, finding that quiet time is almost impossible. 

I made it easily through the rest of the day and the night and most of the morning, but I could feel a headache coming on late this morning.  I was trying to say little prayers frequently. 

I came down to my house around 1:30 with a pounding headache.  I tried to rest to see if the headache would get better.  Marc came in around 2:00, thus ending my rest.

Shortly after 2:30, I began to feel really sick at my stomach.  I did not want to break my fast after only 24 hours, but I could see I was not going to make the 30 hours.  I ate some crackers.  Within just a few minutes, I was feeling a lot better and my headache was lessening.

Yes, I am disappointed I could not fast for 30 hours, but I think there are some valuable lessons here.

A person that knows hunger frequently probably has headaches and is sick to their stomachs frequently.  I was sick from hunger, but I did not know hunger deep enough that I would rummage through garbage in an attempt to find anything to put into my stomach.  How can a little child go to school and concentrate and learn when her stomach is empty and her head is hurting. 

Many of us are fasting, or attempting to fast today.  We can end that whenever we choose.  Some may already be planning to what to eat when that fast ends.  What if you could not choose when to end the fast?  What if you did not know where the next food would come from?  What if you had to send your children to school knowing they had not eaten? What if you had to try to find something to eat in the dump?

I am sort of glad I got a little bit sick today.  It gives me a deeper understanding of what hungry people deal with on a daily basis, except mine was a very small sample.

Thanks to everyone that is fasting, praying and donating.  Your gifts will keep hungry people fed for a long time.

Terri

No comments: