Monday, August 30, 2010

What Were We Thinking?


Three years ago, when we were leaving for Honduras, I drove from Illinois to Texas with my most prized possessions, including eight cases of photo albums. Eight cases spanning the first 31 years of our marriage. Everyone got to keep some of my stuff for me, but my photo albums had to stay at my sister-in-law's house. I knew she would care for them in the same way I had.


Since arriving in Texas on August 6, I have been a bit nostalgic. I have made several trips to Janet's to look at my pictures. Every time I have had a few minutes or a few hours, I have headed to Janet's. Sometimes she was there and sat and looked at my pictures with me. Sometimes she was not and sat and looked by myself. I have stayed up late at night when I should have been sleeping. I have looked at the albums as I came to them. Ideally, I would have lined them up in chronological order. But there was not time for lining up the albums.


I have laughed and I have cried. I have remembered things I might have otherwise forgotten if there was not pictures to capture the moment. I have relived the richness and fullness of raising three children, of having extended family, and having good friends on this journey called life.


Saturday night and tonight I have been on a mission looking for four certain pictures for a special project. At least, I found those pictures, but in the process, I have rushed through some albums. I may not get to look at all the pictures this trip. But I will be back to finish this journey.


The above picture was taken in 1979. Marc and I lived in Amarillo, Texas. It was BK (before kids). This was a popular hairstyle. But we both did it. And we wore that way for a long time. Who would have ever thought Marc once had that much hair?

What were we thinking?


Terri


6 comments:

Ginger said...

dear terri,
i like this picture of you and marc....you look sooooo....wait for it....wait for it....you look so "young" and thin....you pulled this hairstyle really good ...not so sure about marc...hahaha

Just kidding...lots of laughter.

love you, ginger

mandnfitz said...

Ginger, are you saying they are old and fat now?

Anonymous said...

Terri, that's ALOT of hair! All that youth and hair replaced by experience and wisdom. Not a bad trade. Thank you two for what you do for others and setting a wonderful example for us.

It was great to see you sunday,

Love you two, Rickey & Angie

Ginger said...

Now, Nicole you know me better than that...your mom and dad are mature and healthy!!

Churchill said...

yeah, the hair made me laugh. You pulled it off though.
:)
I hope that ya'll are doing well.
, Carrie

TREY MORGAN said...

Marc had hair? I bet he used a blow dryer too.