Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The End Of Summer

Another summer in Honduras is history. The last few people left Monday. I tear up when everyone leaves, usually worse when the last people leave. I was smiling when the last ones left Monday. It was our Borger folks and we will see them next week. Made saying good-bye much easier.

What an awesome summer it has been. Awesome in more ways than one. We made no trips to San Pedro Sula and no groups had to leave early because of political crises. The airport was open every single day. We know. We were there.

In the way of work, it was also an awesome summer. Forty five wooden houses built and three block ones. There were feedings at dump every Monday and every Wednesday and some Fridays. Even when the pots were not taken to Anita, hungry people were fed. Weren't they Nicole. Hundreds of food bags were delivered in several villages. Vacation Bible Schools. Clinics. Clothing distributions. Children were loved on and played with. A new soccer field was built. And clothes lines. Visits to the hospital. Two different times late night blanket runs were made to the hospital. Parents have to sleep in the floor and the hallways and wherever they can find space. Our groups went in with blankets and placed them on sleeping bodies. Most didn't even wake. Wouldn't you love to see their faces when they woke up and found a blanket. I hope they slept a bit warmer. A couple of days some of folks worked on the new classroom at Manos Felices. Manos Felices is near and dear to my heart. I was glad we could help. I am sure I haven't covered everything. Wonderful devos. Wonderful singing. Wonderful fellowship. When it was all said and done, there were twenty five new Christians. Praise God.

The weeks the groups are here are exhausting, but exhilarating at the same time. And the weeks fly by so quickly we don't know what has hit us. It is so cool to see people fall in love with a child or a family, or some specific ministry. To watch them work harder than some may be accustomed. To watch people from different places come together, work together and leave as friends. We always have new friends as each group leaves.

I did not know which way was up yesterday. I worked all day plowing through the paperwork. And did not even make a dent in it. Marc was already talking about next year. I wanted to wait a day or so. But it is hard to contain his excitement.

We leave tomorrow. I always think if I had one more day, I would have more done and be more ready to leave. I just take a lot of work with me. We will spend most of our time in Texas. An awesome summer comes to an awesome end as we spend precious time with family. I don't think I am quite ready to do 5000 miles in five weeks as we usually do.

Give me a few days and I will be wanting to think about next year, too.

Terri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so looking forward to seeing you. Love you.

Jana

Sharon Baer said...

We're going to Texas too this weekend - Dallas to see the grandbaby! Whoo hoo!