Friday, August 6, 2010

Adventures In Traveling.

I never get much sleep the night before a travel day. Wednesday night was no exception. I tried to get as many things done as possible. It was way after midnight before I called it a day. I slept fast because I was up before 4:00. My only thought was I will sleep when I get on the plane.

We checked in at the Delta counter only to find out our plane was delayed two hours. We had a four hour layover in Atlanta, so everything should still be ok. When I have choices, I would rather be waiting in Atlanta not Tegucigalpa. I feel a little more confident I will make that connecting flight.

We got to Atlanta and had to be pulled aside in customs because Marc was carrying some of Lanetta's beef jerky. Funny thing. She made it in the States and brought it to Honduras. She left it with Marc, but when we tried to bring it back in the country, that was not a good thing. Marc was going to show them which bag it was in and they screamed, "don't touch that bag." It was his bag after all.

Once we got through customs and to our new gate, we discovered the flight to Oklahoma City was delayed an hour. We grabbed a bagel and considered that supper. Soon the flight to OKC was delayed another hour. Our original plans were to land in Oklahoma City around 11:00. We were thinking 1:00 before we even land. Marc began to wonder if the rent car counter would still be open. Before we could find out, our flight was canceled. Delta graciously rebooked us to Oklahoma City this morning and sent us off to sleep in the Sheraton and gave us $24.00 worth of meal tickets. Trust me, the Sheraton was a lot nicer accomodations that we would have found for ourselves in Oklahoma City. I slept very well. Very well.

We did not even have a crack of dawn flight this morning. And we had been rebooked in first class. Not bad for using frequent flier miles.

When we got to Oklahoma City, our rent car was gone, so they upgraded us. We had a very pleasant drive to Amarillo. No traffic. No mountains.

We got to Amarillo and ate at the Cracker Barrel. A wonderful way to start our visit in Texas. And then to continue that welcome, I got to see a beautiful west Texas sunset, the place where God created sunsets.

We are here. Loving on family, with a lot more of that to follow. I am sure I will rest well again tonight.

Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
So glad you and Marc reached TX soil and had a smile on your face because God you there safe and sound with a few perks along the way!! well, some delays and some problems but you always seem to make the best of everything...have a good time. Tell family hello.