Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lubbock

Shortly after Marc and I married, we moved to Lubbock, Texas and Marc finished college at Texas Tech. After completing his degree, Marc had a job in Amarillo for three years. He received a promotion and we moved back to Lubbock. I was happy about that. I had liked living in Lubbock. And I liked it the second time as well. We lived there for eight years. Longer than we have lived any where else.

Lubbock was a great place to raise our family. Two of our kids were born there. We liked our church and our home. We had good neighbors and great friends. The schools were good. I would have been content to live the rest of our lives in Lubbock. But that was not to be.

Thursday afternoon we went to Lubbock to visit some relatives. We went to see Carolyn and Rich. Carolyn is Marc's cousin, whom I quickly claimed as my own cousin after meeting her the first time. We also saw Marc's Aunt Hattie and as a bonus got to see Mel and Donna, too.
I visited way into the night. I think I am getting too old for that. But, I haven't been to Searcy yet so I probably will do it another time or two.

So many things in Lubbock are different. And so many the same. What pleasant memories flooded over me as we drove past parks and the library. Lubbock still has a Taco Villa and a Der Weinerschnitzel. You don't see those restaurants very often. We liked both of them. The sign on Der Weinerschnitzel said "5 for $5.00" Dating myself just a bit, Marc and I could remember when we could get 5 for $1.00.

Now there are freeways all over and around Lubbock. As we entered town on I-27 and drove across town, I could see the big bell tower at the Broadway Church of Christ. Many good friends and many good memories.

We had a wonderful time in with Carolyn and Rich, just not enough of it. But the stroll down memory lane was pleasant for me as well.

Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

you have touched many lives through your journey and many have touched yours...enjoyed your email a day or so ago...thanks for always reporting in. I will have to write a long long email one of these days! Love you as you are always just a heart beat away.