Monday, March 9, 2009

Teleton

I drove out the gate this morning at 6:45. Monica, Doris, Sisi, and Maryuri were with me and we were on our way to Sandra's house. We had appointments in town with Teleton beginning at 8:30 and lasting until 10:30. Teleton is a agency in Tegucigalpa that we have thought might could help with some education for our learning disabled and mentally challenged girls. Most agencies that provide this kind of help are some kind of ministry. Teleton is not. And it is not supported by any kind of government. Money is raised for this service once a year through a telethon, thus the name Teleton.

The dirt road to Sandra's is always a pleasant country drive, but this morning with the sun beginning to shine over the mountains and what looked like God had reached down and set the clouds on the mountaintops, it was gloriously beautiful.

I soon forgot the country drive and was fighting morning traffic all the way down the mountain and through the city. We arrived at Teleton at exactly 8:30.

This is the fourth time we have had appointments at Teleton. Everybody has to read the files and various things. This was the appointment for evaluations. Each girl and Sandra had a 30 minute appointment with the counelor. I entertained the three that were not in the appointment. The girls were so good for having to wait that long.

At 10:30, we thought we were going to have more appointments, so we pulled out the snacks and juice. We came prepared for as long as needed. The girls had a cheese sandwich, apple, and juice. Monica promptly spilled her juice down the front of her shirt. Things like that don't bother Monica. She just gives a big smile.

Monica and Doris were deemed emergency cases. I think we already had that figured out. Even being called emergency cases, there was no way to work us in for more appointments today. Sandra, Monica and Doris have appointments at 6:30 next Monday.

At this time we know Doris needs more social interaction. She had none before she came to Casa de Esperanza. She probably will be going to classes at Teleton 3 days a week and they will force the school here in Santa Ana to take her. I am not sure what Monica will need.

Maryuri is five, we think. She has the skills, physically, socially, and mentally of a two and a half year old. She will probably be going to classes at Teleton once a week. And Sisi will probably be going once a week. They will continue to attend classes at school as well.

I am going to be doing lots of driving, and lots of waiting and reading.

We have prayed and prayed about help for Doris and Monica. God is good, all the time. As we depend on Him and He answers our prayers, we see Him truly making a difference, one child at a time.

Terri

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can tell for sure that each and every one of those children have a special place in your heart and how blessed they are for that. I am so grateful for the time you spend to get the services they need and that are available. That sort of thing is very close to my heart. I love reading about the things you go thru to get the services. I know it is difficult but will pay off in the end. What a experience for you. I cannot imagine all the commuting you have to do in all that traffic so early in the morning. Glad you are younger than me. linda

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
Yesterday I had to do a lot of driving and picking up and delivering in a 3 hour period. I was so tired that I couldn't even make a sentence come out of my mouth without sounded wierd. I literally couldn't think straight. AND YOU DO THIS 24 SEVEN.

I sure do admire you for what you do. The stress alone seems like would be too much.

You have amazing love and strength for those you care about.

God loves you too.

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
It appears from what I just wrote that I still cannot think straight. I am still tired from running yesterday.
My sentences are still not sounding right. Did you see how wierd one sentence sounded?
Oh well, try to weed through my wierd thoughts today and know that I am thinking of you and wondering how do you do what you do?