Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Illiteracy

In the United States, we pretty much take it for granted that everyone can read and write. That probably is not so, but we like to think it is. In Honduras, we know that a huge part of the population can neither read nor write. Even here, I can forget that fact sometimes.

In the past few days, I have been made painfully aware that illiteracy exists this country. The statistics say 32% of children never finish 6th grade. I don't know from where statistics come. Are people asked to fill out a survey? Many children never start school, much less finish sixth grade. Many people live so far off the beaten path, they could never be found to survey. I personally think it would be much higher than that.

As Karen and I have been working with different artesians, buying new products for the store, more than once we have seen a lady who cannot even write us a receipt. She runs next door and asks another person to write it for us. The fourth graders needed a special little workbook. One of the employees went to the pulperia to buy it. The man said his daughter was out for a few minutes and he could not sell the book. He could not sell the book because he could not read. We are actively seeking houseparents or tias for the new cottage. We have a good lead on a woman. She is doing a wonderful job with her daughters, which is something we look for. Marc said he did not think she could read or write. Karen, Ashley, and I sat in stunned silence. How could we hire someone to be a houseparent that could not read or write. Marc reminded us that when we hire Hondurans, we may have to hire someone that can't read or write. That we can't always set our American standards and find what we want. In this particular instance, the child care is going to be more important, if other qualities are what we want.

As I sat at Teleton Monday, I noticed a lot of mothers waiting and very few had a book while they waited. I could not help but wander, how many could read and how many couldn't. Perhaps they could read and not able to buy a book.

When a child has school supplies or a uniform, it is a very small step in overcoming the massive illiteracy problem in this country.

I enjoying reading and think of the people that will never be able to enjoy that simple pleasure the way I do. Today be thankful that you can read and write.

Terri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another delima,literecy, you face in hiring help, something I do not think about although I know it exist here. It seems Marc has great wisdom tho, in looking at many issues with the proper prespective. I would be hesitant, myself but after all if she is doing a good job with her children. Isn't it great to have a husband that is able to see things in such a way to afford good leadership, not only to the family but to others he is helping. It seems not much is absolute for you there in that country. I think of you every day with the different issues you have to face and how you have to change so much of what you have always thought true to be able to made good decision. I pray God will continue to grant the two of you that wisdom to look at things from the proper prospective. linda

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
What a blessing it is to read my bible, novels, books, recipes, and the mail.

I will never take this blessing for granted again.

My grandmother died not being able to read.

Not being able to read about what we should do to go to heaven.

I have often prayed to God that He would have mercy on those who could not read HIS word.

Life is full of hardship in Honduras. This disablity seems to really be common.

Prayers for you and those you try to help every day.

I am thinking maybe the houseparents could learn to read from the kids that they will be taking care of. Now wouldn't that be a wonderful thing?