Sunday, March 29, 2009

Beach Trip




Our church planned a beach trip for today. To be perfectly honest, I had not been looking forward to this trip. Riding two or three hours on a yellow school bus with people that don't know what personal space is, is not exactly my idea of a great time. When I came to Honduras, it was not to live in my personal comfort zone. And I thought about how much fun our kids were going to have. I signed on.


Yesterday morning, the forecast for today was hot, hot, hot with the hottest place in the country being right where we were going. I am so spoiled to living in the mountains, I forget Central America is suppose to be hot, hot, hot.


Karen has made preparations all week and the kids' excitement has grown all week.


At 5:30 this morning we began loading buses. It takes a good 30 minutes to load that many people on two buses. I was in charge of Monica and Doris and we were lucky enough to get the seat over the tire. Monica never quit smiling. Doris looked out the window. I am not sure if she was taking it all in or wondering what it was all about.


After the first person vomited, all the windows came down rapidly. Soon after that, we had to make a vomit stop and three people jumped off the bus.


When we finally got to the beach at Delgaditas (which when translated means little skinny) and unloaded the bus, everyone was eager to get in the water. There was a small breeze, thankfully.
We could see El Salvador from where we were. Some of our kids have never seen the beach. You can just imagine the excitement.


Doris loved the water and giggled the whole time. Monica immediately got knocked down by a wave and wasn't too sure about it. The beach was littered with thousands of shells and pieces of shells. Monica and Doris and I took a long walk down the beach. Monica made it her goal to pick up every single one. She didn't quite succeed, but gave it her best shot.


The tide was coming in and the beach was rapidly disappearing. Maybe high tide is when the beach was named. Everyone was back on the buses by 3:00, even though we weren't suppose to leave until 4:00. After the beach disappears, the only thing to do is go get on the bus.


I am always on the bus that has problems and Marc never is. We were detained at a police post for about 15 minutes. Just when we think we are on our way home, we had a blowout. The other bus beat us home by an hour.


It was a really long day. Everyone had a great time and everyone is tired.


I am glad I decided to go and probably will do it again, if it is not too soon.


Terri

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have been scared to death with all the children and the ocean!! What a wonderful gift you all gave them!! Glad you all made it back safely! love you, Janet

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
I cannot believe how unlucky you are to have a flat tire. All those kids have to get off the bus to change it, right? where did they stand? by the road? was there much traffic? the road could have been scarier than watching that many while the tire was repaired!

The vomiting on the bus was not fun for anyone, espically the ones who were sick. yuk!

What sacrifices you make so the children will have fun and make wonderful memories. I only went to the beach one time when I was a child and oh the memories I hold dear from that one day. My aunt rented a nice place on the beach and until this day at 60 I recall the peace I felt falling asleep to the sound of the ocean. Bless your heart for caring so much and bless these children for having so many good care givers who love them so much.

Anonymous said...

And it is 33 degrees here in MS this a.m.!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a day! I can't imagine how excited those kids were! Did you bring a ton of shells back>

Love,
Linda