Saturday, March 14, 2009

Playground Time

With fourteen kids in school, there is a tremendous amount of homework. It takes two or three or more people overseeing that and making sure everyone stays on task. It also takes one person to be outside with those kids that either did not have homework or are finished. I have been taking some of the playground shifts.

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting on the step, watching everyone play. I saw Doris sitting in this Little Tykes wagon. I thought I would get up and go pull her around for a bit. As I neared the wagon, I could see it had no rear wheels. Thanks, but no thanks I was not going to pull a wagon with a child in it that had no rear wheels.

Doris jumped out of the wagon and wanted me to get in. Suffice it to say that it was a really tight squeeze, but I got all of me in that little wagon. Since the wagon had no rear wheels, the more of me I got into the wagon, the higher the front end went. I was going to sit there a minute and then get out. Doris started laughing. And then she grabbed the handle out of my hands and began to pull me. I would not have thought she could have pulled me in the wagon if it had had all the wheels, but with the rear ones missing, I didn't think she would even try. She pulled me a fairly long distance, laughing hysterically all the while.

I wasn't too crazy about this ride and was saying "no me gusta, no me gusta" (I don't like this, I don't like this). She began laughing harder and pulling harder. The groundskeeper heard me and looked to see what was happening and he began laughing.

I was wanting out of that wagon before Marc got home. I knew Marc would laugh. When Marc starts laughing, he is usually funnier than what he is laughing at. I told Doris to stop and finally she did.

It was a lot harder to get out of that little wagon than it was to get in it. It was time for me to go back to supervising the play.

Fortunately, for me, everyone else was busy with homework and no one got a picture of me in that wagon.

Terri

6 comments:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
You present the gospel in such a clear and simple way. I see Jesus every time I read a blod you have written. Your stories are always so full of love for the children no matter was the circumstances.
love you, Ginger

Anonymous said...

OH, My, Terri, what we will do to make the children happy. Even though no one took a picture, I laughed just thinking about your predicament. I can only imagine all the labors of love that go into school work with 14 children. It was sometimes overwhelming with 2. You do a great pictoral presentation with each of your blogs. So many of us look forward to reading them. Love you, Sue

Anonymous said...

I am picturing this in my head but still wish we haad the real picture to go with it! :) I am sure Doris appreciated the time with you! Have a blessed day! Sharon McClead

Anonymous said...

I have this picture in my mind....I would have loved to have seen in in person!

Have a great day!

Love,
Linda w

Anonymous said...

Isn't it the best feeling when you can laugh with a child? There's nothing better! I'm sure that it was so much fun to see Miss Terri squeezing in that little red wagon with no wheels! ha! Thanks for sharing....but I'm really sorry that Marc missed out on this one! I can just imagine that his roaring laughter would have echo off the mountain! :)

Anonymous said...

I read the wagon blog yesterday but thought it was a good way to begin the day today. It is those little things when you rise to the level of the children in play that endears you to them. Just keep up the work. Every one needs a good laugh every once in a while even the children even if it is at your expense. Man how I wish I would be able to see in person the works going on there but since that is not possible I will just continue to see it thru your words. We continue to admire the work you are doing and it shows from your words you love it. linda