Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Scare

Once we decided to come to Honduras, I never ever regretted that decision. I had to miss some friends' weddings and other events. Had to miss some family events. Most of the time I roll with flow and know that is part of it. Once in a while, as something has happened, I wished I was in the states for an event. Today was one of those days.

Last night we had no electricity and I did not put my phone on the charger. This morning around 11:30, I heard the low battery signal and immediately put the phone on the charger. It came time to get Rosy and I purposely left the phone on the charger so I would have a complete charge. I was just going to get Rosy and back.

When we got back, I walked into Casa to talk to Karen. Her phone rang and she says, "Terri is right here with me." She handed me her phone and said it's Marc. Marc begins to say Nathan and I have been trying to call you, Nicole has been in a wreck. You need to call her. I teared up. I looked at Karen and said Nicole's been in a wreck. Karen hugged me and I took off for my house. I didn't know a middle-aged, overweight gringa could move that fast. As fast as I was moving, I still had time to think and to pray. Praying for her safety. And the baby's. Thinking, dear God, not again. Not again, please no. Thinking I can't get out of here until tomorrow. I knew that last plane for the states had already left. I jerked that phone off that charger and hit her number. I got her voice mail.

I was insane and was wildly searching for another number. I do not have Matt's new number. I called Nicole's mother-in-law. What a relief just to find out Cheryl was with Nicole. Nicole had just gone back to see the doctor. Cheryl told me Nicole had calmed down and both she and Nicole thought everything was ok. I know Cheryl would not lie to me, but that did not help me much. I needed to talk to Nicole. I was crying hysterically.

I walked back up to Casa, with my phone in my hand, and told Karen I would watch the kids that were through with homework. Reina and Elvia were leaving. They both stopped and hugged me. I waited until I could not stand it any longer and called Nicole's number again. Thankfully, she answered this time. She told me the doctor said her and the baby were both fine. Thank you, Lord.

Nicole told she was broadsided on the driver's side. She saw the car and was honking and trying to get out of the way. The woman prayed with Nicole and gave her a $20.00 gift card from Olive Garden telling her she probably needed to eat out and not cook tonight. The mother came out in me. I just could not help it. I asked Nicole if she got the insurance information from the woman. Nicole said you think I would take a card from Olive Garden and NOT get the insurance information.

After I calmed down some, I realized even if I had been in the states, I would have been as far or farther from her. I could not have gotten to Baton Rouge much sooner from Illinois than I could have from Tegucigalpa. But somehow, it seemed as if it would have been better if I had been in the states.

Tonight, I am thankful and rejoicing that my daughter and her baby are ok. Gracias a Dios.

Terri

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and Nicole are in my thoughts and prayers! I am sure she and baby are fine....but I cannot imagine the feeling of fear and hopelessness you felt yesterday. Thanks again for all you do and the sacrifices you make! Sharon

Anonymous said...

So thankful that Nicole and baby are okay. My heart is aching for you.

I am praying for the "peace that passes all understanding" for you today. JL

Anonymous said...

Lots of hugs and thankful tears! I love you. Janet