Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Traveling LIght

I read a book several years ago titled "Traveling Light".  I believe it was written by Max Lucado.  It was about putting down our guilt, shame, pride, etc and making our journey through life a bit easier by not lugging all that excess baggage all over the place.  It was a good book.  There was good advice in that book and I try to put that advice into my life.  Not that I always succeed,but I try.

But, when it comes to traveling, I have not learned the art of traveling light.  We come to the States once or twice a year, for a length of time, usually four to seven weeks.  We are in several states and that normally involves different climates.  I leave my winter clothes and coats in the States.  Even with my winter clothes here, I cannot travel light.  At any time of the year. 

We sometimes are in a different house every night.   I can pack for a few days in one suitcase, but, after not too long, I have to pull everything out of the car.  I do laundry frequently.  I don't try to bring enough clothes that I don't have to do laundry.  I don't have that many things.  I tried to pack in one suitcase for this week and leave one at my mom's.  I did pack in one suitcase.  More or less.  The one I packed in is really heavy.  Really heavy.  And not everything would fit.  So my shampoo and such is in a plastic bag.  With my purse, computer, camera, I am still carrying many things into the places we stay.   I know people probably think, "oh no, they are moving in."

I think I have learned to live lighter, with many less things and conveniences than I had in the States.  I just can't get the hang of traveling light.  Maybe some day.  And, maybe not.

Terri




No comments: