Monday, January 30, 2012

Did You Hear Me Breathe A Huge Sigh Of Relief?

It has definitely been one of those manic Mondays.

Now that there are seven kids in the Brumley cottage, Mirian needs one of the housekeeping staff in her house.  We put Reina in there to help Mirian.   Reina had to be off today because her son had surgery.  Yesterday, I found a relief person to help Mirian today.  Normally, I would do that rather than paying the wages for a relief person.  But, I was working in the big house today and Nicole was leaving for Teleton at 6:30.  There was not an option but to hire someone.

I was feeding the kids breakfast when Dilica came rushing in saying her daughter was really sick and she might have to leave early.  Dilcia comes on Monday morning, cooks and cleans all day, stays in the big house with the kids on Monday night and works all day Tuesday before leaving.  My mind went into high speed.  Dilcia started the laundry and started lunch, which I greatly appreciated.  If I was there by myself with 12 kids, I did not want to have to cook lunch and try to supervise the children at the same time.  Dilcia is always efficient, but she worked faster and harder today.

AT 3:00, Dilcia found out her daughter was needing an emergency appendectomy.  At least, today's work was done.  Again, normally, I would stay in the big house tonight but Mirian is leaving in the morning for her days off.  I have to be in her house from the time she leaves until her relief person arrives.  There is an hour overlap in the morning and I could not be in both houses.  I tried calling the person who does nights for vacations and days off and got no answer.  I was quickly formulating plans B, C, and D.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but I had to have someone to be in Mirian's house at 5:45 in the morning or spend the night in the big house.  Foturnately, plan B was able to come to work tonight.

Just as I was resolving that and going on to the next crisis, there was a horn at the gate.  One of the kids ran to get the key and opened the gate.  In drove, Karen, Dorian and Korbin.  Oh yes, I am sure you heard the sigh of relief I breathed.

Karen is the best children's home director any children's home could ever hope for.  I am very glad she and Korbin are well.  I am glad they got to spend Christmas in the states with Karen's family.  And I am even more glad she is home.

Terri

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Yay! I know you're all so happy to have them back! Love you and think of you often!