Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mornings In The Brumley Cottage

With three new kids and two of those being babies, things have really changed around here.  I had opportunity to be in the Brumley cottage two mornings this week. 

The houseparent, Mirian, had two days off and was leaving yesterday morning.  These are her first days off since the new ones arrived.  I went to her house at 5:45 yesterday.  Josue was crying.  Mirian had fixed a bottle and he had taken part of it, but wanted no more.  I picked him up and cradled him in my arms.  He stopped crying, but did not go to sleep.  I walked around talking and singing to him.  I think he liked that.  At 6:15, some of the other kids began to arise.  I changed Yair's diaper and got him dressed for the day.  Adonis and Guadalupe changed themselves and I help Cris and Any change.  I got the girls' hair combed.  Josue pooped.  I changed him and almost immediatey peed. So, I changed him again.  At some point in time all  five of the older kids got in Yair's baby bed.  Olman woke up and was crying.  At 7:00, when Pamela and Maira arrived, I had a crying baby in each arm.  I was thankful for reinforcements.  Pamela took a baby for a couple of minutes.  Pamela left with five of the kids for devo.  I never did get socks on Yair.  I guess in the whole scheme of things, that is not horrible.

I had Olman and Maira had Josue.  I fixed a bottle for Olman and fed him.  Then he needed changed.  After I changed him, I took all the diapers that were wet and poopy and went to the pila.  In the hour and a half I had been there, there were five diapers.  I was thinking at this rate, we will be out of diapers before noon.  I washed the diapers and got them on the line. 

Pamela and the kids returned from devo.  I got breakfast ready, which was only peanut butter sandwiches, and  got it on the table.  The kids ate and began their chores.  Reina arrived at 8:00.  Was I ever glad to see her.   She got a great big hug from me.  After two hours and fifteen minutes, I felt as if I had worked for days.

This morning I got there at 6:30.  Poor Maira.  She had not slept at all because Josue had not slept at all.  There were baby bottles every where.  The older kids were up getting ready for devo.  I took Josue for a while and managed to comb the girls hair and get socks on Yair this morning.  Olman slept through it all. 

When the kids left for devo, Maira washed all the baby bottles and took the diapers from the night to the pila.  I thought I had Josue asleep.  Olman woke up and began crying and Josue decided to cry with him.   Maira and I each had a baby.  Olman had to eat and we finally got Josue to sleep.  Maira rushed to the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth. 

Breakfast, chores, more wet and dirty diapers.  I am getting pretty good on that pila.  I think I could use a nap. 

Terri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

goodness Terri, I hope you do not have to keep this kind of schedule for many days at a time. Praying your health has improved enough that you are able to keep up with all of that and stay well. Things were buzzing at the Brumley Cottage for sure.

Anonymous said...

That last comment was from Borger I forgot to sign linda