Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Preparations Begin At Casa De Esperanza

Thanksgiving is an American holiday, not a Honduran one. I think a few years ago, we started fixing it for ourselves. But now the kids and the staff get excited about this American holiday. Most have talking about it for weeks.

I kind of got broadsided by November. It just came at me out of nowhere and slammed right into me. Friday I went to the market and began the Thanksgiving shopping. I got home at 7:00 Friday night. I was exhausted and did not have all I needed. We had ordered some hard-to-find things on the Tupelo container that was suppose to be unloaded today. Cutting it a little close, but I could live with that. Welcome to Honduras. Maybe tomorrow, but if I was a betting person, I would bet the container will be ready to unload on 2:00 Thursday.

I made another list and went back to town today. Since I was looking for some American things, I was shopping in the American stores. And, I was not the only person looking for those things. The stores were so crowded I felt as if I was in the States doing Thanksgiving shopping.

As I left Karen's apartment a couple of hours ago, she was starting her cookies. I came down and started the first batch of bread and some cornbread for dressing. I hope there is enough cornbread left by Thursday to make dressing. My Aunt Jemima cornbread cooking is going to be hard to not eat.

Tomorrow the kids will start chopping the onions and celery and grating cheese. I know my own kids are sad they have to miss the chopping of the onions and celery. Many more preparations will be made tomorrow and Thursday, we will start very early.

I am so thankful for this time of year.

Terri

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

Happy Thanksgiving, to you and all that are working with you this week!!

mandnfitz said...

Don't you fear 2 of your kids will still be chopping plenty of onions and celery. The onions here are so bad they make Haley tear up when she is in the other room!