Thursday, November 4, 2010

Refreshing Sights

This morning some of the kids were going on a field trip and had to be at the school at 7:30. I drove them to school and as the others were getting out of the car, Ana says to me that she left something very important at home and her teacher said she could not go on the field trip if she didn't have it. Kids are kids in every language.

I drove back home, not knowing whether I would return to the school or not. We usually let the kids suffer the consequences of forgetting. If we didn't, that van would be making a hundred trips a day to the school. When I walked in the door, Karen asked if Ana remembered her letter and I said no. Karen said she has to have it. So, on Karen's say, I returned to the school.

All the kids were on the buses. I got on the first bus and saw Antonio and he told me Ana was on the other bus. As I began to get on the other bus, I stopped. One of the teacher's aides was leading the kids in prayer before they left on the field trip. What a refreshing sight that was to me. The kids pray every day in school here. Wouldn't it be nice if that still happened in the USA?

After the prayer ended, I saw Ana at the very back of the bus. She saw me, too. Her face broke into a gigantic smile and she reached up and wiped her hand across her forehead. She ran to the front of the bus wearing that big smile. She hugged me and said thank you, Terri. Thank you,very much. As I was standing there, holding that letter, I was a refreshing sight to Ana.

Terri

No comments: