Sunday, November 14, 2010

Church In Desamparados

When Matt and Nicole moved to Costa Rica, their sponsoring church, South Baton Rouge Church of Christ, said they knew the minister at a church in Desamparados and that Matt and Nicole should meet him. Matt and Nicole did call him and the church is not only the nearest one to their house, it is quite close. It was a pretty easy decision to go there since they are in Costa Rica without a car.

The whole weekend I have been stunned by how much more wealthy Costa Rica is than Honduras. Yes, there is poverty here, but it is hidden. Costa Rica is far more Americanized than Honduras. Realizing that Costa Rica is more wealthy, I was still amazed when we arrived at the church building this morning. The building was far nicer than I expected to see in Latin America and it had a parking lot with several cars parked in it. The building would not be large or grand by American standards, but by the standards by which I now make these judgements.

The people were lovely, so warm and welcoming. Just as church should be. They loved on us and it was plain to see that they love on Matt and Nicole all the time. Everyone was loving on and complementing Haley. Anyone who thinks Haley is grand, is good in this grammy's eyes. I think they have never had a gringa baby to love on for a whole year.

There was about 120 in church this morning. The singing was nice, but I like singing at my church in Santa Ana much better. At Santa Ana, we may be fewer in number, but we are sitting together and blending our voices as one. Everyone was too spread out this morning.

It was so difficult for me to hear this morning for several reasons. One, I knew it was my last day here and I was watching Haley. Everything she did was so cute and sweet. Two, the accoustics were kind of funny and it was just hard to hear. And three, in much the same way after I moved to Illinois from Mississippi and no one could understand my deep south english, after hearing Honduran spanish, Costa Rican spanish was just hard for me to understand every word. In spite of that, the fellowship was sweet.

As the offering plates were passed, all the children go up front to give their offering. Nicole took Haley up and she put two little coins in the basket.

I am pleased Matt and Nicole have found a church in which to worship the next year. I am glad we visited this morning. It is always fun to visit other churches.

Terri

No comments: