Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gratefulness

This time of the year, most of us Americans are thinking of things for which we are thankful. Because we are so blessed, it is easy to do.

Many times in Honduras we find people that are truly thankful for things we sometimes take for granted. Today was one of those days.

Minimum wage just went up. By American standards, minimum wage is not much and, by those same standards, the raise was small, extremely small. The minimum wage law was just passed but was effective September 1. Therefore, we had to pay the raise portion of the salary retroactively.

As I paid employees today, I was explaining the raise, then the retroactive portion, then their salary for the last two weeks. One employee is extremely sensitive and cries easily. She burst into tears after I gave the retroactive portion of the pay. I began asking what was wrong, was everything figured correctly. I was getting no answer, just more tears. I was thinking I had done something horrible to offend her. She finally pulled herself together and told me she was so grateful for the raise and the extra pay. She had so many expenses. She told she was not sad or mad, but happy.

Her raise was 11 lempiras a day or fifty eight cents. Fifty five lempiras a week or two dollars and ninety cents a week. The retroactive raise for September and October was just over $25.00. And she was weeping with gratefulness.

I can waste her week's raise without even thinking about it or knowing where I wasted it and she was thinking of all the bills she could pay.

And she knew exactly who to thank. She thanked me, but her biggest praise was "Gracias a Dios" (thank you God).

Terri

No comments: