Friday, April 23, 2010

We Are In The Chicken Business




As of Wednesday night, we have chickens. Thirty one chickens. We bought laying chickens. Soon we will have eggs. None of us know anything about chickens. Won't this be fun. Right now the children are excited about feeding them and can't wait for eggs. I am sure they won't be so excited when it comes time to clean the coop.


From a novel I recently read, I think it is better to go into the coop and say hello girls than trying to shoo them off theirs nests to collect the eggs. I can't picture me walking in and saying hello girls. I will not say I will never gather eggs or mess with the chickens. From a person who said I will not move to Honduras and I will not drive a stick shift on these mountains, I know better than to say "I will never".


The chickens will be a wonderful learning experience for us all. We want to thank Marie Polk's first and second grade Sunday school class from the Columbus Church of Christ for raising the money to buy these chickens.


This morning, when I took the pictures all was well and all the girls were calm. Some were eating and some were on their nests.


There will be more chicken and egg stories to follow.


Terri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the first time in 25 years here at our little place we are without chickens. They get to be a mess sometime and I did not ever clean out the chicken house but having them for the grandchildren was a great blessing. They used to love to gather the eggs every time they came here and would sometimes take some home just for them. We got colored eggs most of the time and that was a treat for the kids too. Even some of our adult friends enjoyed the good eggs. Nothing in the world is better to eat than a fresh egg from your own chicken house. I think you all will reap lots of benefits from having them. Good plan, another chore for the kids and good healthy food too. linda

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, I used to gather eggs at my grandparent's house..it's not so bad! I have a friend at work who has chickens and is now donating the eggs to a homeless ministry here in town! I know you can do it!

Linda W