Friday, April 16, 2010

Playing Funeral




In Honduras, when someone dies, there are few funeral homes and most people could not afford to pay one any way. Most people have to arrange to have their loved ones buried the same day. The friends and family carry the casket to the church and then on the the cemetery. If a family has a pickup truck, or know someone that does they will use that. Many times as I bring Rosy home or after a long day of errands in Tegucigalpa, I have been behind a funeral procession where the casket is being carried and everyone else is walking behind the people carrying the casket. I try to show the same respect we do in the States, but I am usually trying to find a way around without being too disrespectful.


Today the children found a large flat box with a bottom and a top. Four of them were carrying the box and one was inside. They were walking with this box saying muerto, muerto, muerto which means dead. They all took turns carrying the box and being in the box. The longer they did this, the more the bottom of the box began to loose its shape and it took more people to hold the bottom. As you can see in the picture above, Jackson is just about to fall out of the box, or the casket. I do hope my pallbearers are a bit more careful with me.


I do not know where they came up with this. Funerals are not funny, but watching them this morning sure was funny.


Terri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kids are kids every where, ours used to play church all the time, and am sure if they had experienced that many funerals they would have tried that too. How sweet. It is part of growing up and not disrespetful at all. It is a part of life like playing house. And a big part of learning. I enjoyed the blogg today, I love to hear about how they play. Glad there was no homework today. linda