Saturday, April 3, 2010

An Awesome Journey

Many times I have read my Bible through in one year. Sometimes that is challenging, but doable. At the beginning of 2007, I decided to do something different. I decided to use a good commentary and read one chapter a day. Spend more time studying that one chapter and, hopefully, know it better when I finished.

The commentary I chose is huge. I have lugged it back and forth to the states in my suitcase. When I started this, if I had known I would be moving to Honduras before 2007 was over, I might not have chosen to do it. I am so glad I chose this journey. It has been good for me. There was, and still is, so much for me to learn. The Old Testament is rich. As I neared the end of the Old Testament, I was excited about getting into the Gospels. The commentary is huge, double-columned, single-spaced in a tiny print. Most of the Gospels were eight pages per chapter. While I did learn a lot and see things I had never seen, some mornings it was tedious to work through eight pages. Then three weeks ago, I was excited to start Revelation. I was going to learn things that had been hard for me to understand. Maybe it was hard for the author of the commentary as well, because most chapters had one column, shorter than the chapter in the Bible

I have learned a lot on this journey that has taken me 1,189 days to complete. I am sure, if I ever choose to read my Bible through this way again, I will learn a lot more. But right now, the commentary is resting as I start a new study in the morning.

Terri

No comments: