Sunday, April 4, 2010

I Am A Spoiled American

I knew when I lived in America that I was a spoiled American. But since I sold everything and moved to Honduras, I want to think that I am no longer that way. I conserve water and electricity. I try to be culturally sensitive. I think about hungry people and share my food. But trust me, I am still a spoiled American.

The last two days we have been without electricity more than we have had it. It went out around 7:30 Friday night and came back at 1:30 Saturday afternoon. It was on for seven hours before we lost it again. It was out for 13 hours before it came back.

I have whined and complained. I like my light. I like my computer. I like my cold water to drink. I like my hot water in which to shower. I do not like to be without these things. And I have been without all of them.

This morning I had my hair and makeup done when the power returned at 9:25, just a few minutes before church began. Marc wasn't sure if I would come on to church or whether I would get in the shower. It had been a long time since I had had one. I went to church. But when church was over, I came racing down here as fast as I could to get in the shower.

I whine and complain because I do not have light and computer, hot water and cold water. But most of the people in Honduras do without these things on a daily basis. I have tried to think what it would be like to live without these things forever. My spoiled mind cannot even comprehend those things.

I hate do without these luxuries which have have become necessities. But I pray as we continue to face these power outages, that I become more compassionate and sensitive to those that live without these things and that I become less spoiled and more dependent on God.

Terri

No comments: