Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sisia







I am spending more and more of my time here at Casa de Esperanza. I am not complaining; I love these children and know I was made for this. But as I spend more time here, I spend less time with other things in which we are involved. I haven't been to the dump a single time this year and Marc goes every week. I went this morning. I just need to be reminded every once in a while.


It has been raining almost every day. As bad as the stench is, it is always worse after the rains. My shoes are covered in poo mud. The smell penetrated the car. No matter how unpleasant it was at the dump, these people still need to be fed.


I jumped in the back of the truck and started serving beans. As I neared the bottom of the pot, Marc told me to let Luis finish the beans and get my camera out of the car. He led me over to a family living in a deplorable situation. A pregnant mom, a dad, and a little girl are living in a small shelter made out of tires. There was one filthy mattress thrown on the ground. We guessed the little girl, whose name is Sisia, to be about 18 months old. Both the mother and the little girl had the ground-in, caked-on filth we so often see at the dump. Both standing there with bare feet. We also guess the mom is due in three weeks or so.


Marc took beans and rice and tortillas for all three to them. As I approached, I was trying to talk to Sisia. I think she thought I was coming for her food because she brought that bowl close to her tiny body and hugged it tightly. She ate ravenously. Her hair had red highlights, signs of malnutrition.


Marc said they were there last week, too. Some of the other ladies who also have babies but don't bring them to the dump, are trying to talk the mother into getting Sisia out of there. She can't live long in those conditions. And that baby. When I think how we sterilized Baby Haley's pacifier every time it was dropped and how we put germ-x on our hands before we picked her up, I cannot even begin to imagine a new born baby living in a disease-infested dump.


I got in the car and wept. I will be haunted by the sight of that poor little girl way into the night tonight.


We cannot see a situation such as this and not do something.


We are in a place where we try to figure out what happens next. We are looking at property for a health center and a church. We will be sharing the good news with those that have no hope on this earth. Things move slow in Honduras. We know that and we have to roll with the flow. But some things need immediate attention.


One week from today, my friend, Trey Morgan, will be hosting the 2nd anual dump fundraiser. Please visit Trey's blog at http://wwww.treymorgan.net/ Also, join us next week in prayer and fasting for this event that will raise enough money to continue to feed the hungry and homeless at the dump for another year and to take this ministry where God is leading.


Terri

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad! :( Just wish we could wisk them out of there and take care of them in a better place...know it is not that easy. May God continue to bless you all! Sharon Mc

Anonymous said...

A place for a church at the dump? Oh Terri, that is my dream. I know it will happen--in God's time. I sure hope I get to see that.

mandnfitz said...

Absolutely heartbreaking for the whole family. That little mom only looks to be 15. I will pray that God will rescue them.

Jenschke Family said...

As I sit in my classroom listening to music and watching my students work on a fun math project I cannot help but feel guilty. Just a few days ago I had students that needed shoes and just felt as if this world had dealt them such a horrible hand. Wow, how rich they truly are! How truly RICH I am!

The families at the dump live in a manner that I cannot even imagine. I struggle with why God would allow this to happen to innocent children. Maybe it is teach ME something about His love and sacrifice.

Bless you for all you do. You are a true angel. Good luck next week and my class is ready to make our contribution!

Adam Gonnerman said...

Thank you for the work you do.

Anonymous said...

Bless you & Marc for all you do. I am humbled and praise God for your caring hearts and deeds. The pictures and the manner you tell of these situations explains so well the deplorable way so many live. Praying for you and all that strive to make a better life for these precious souls. Lovve you! Sue

Anonymous said...

I just learned about this mission a couple weeks ago when Trey spoke at our Gospel meeting. It has really touched my heart. I just want to thank you for being there to touch these people. I will keep you in my prayers and the mission you are working at. Thank you for all that ya'll are doing. Tammy