Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Galloper

The Galloper is one of the trucks we have. It is not a U.S. made car. Like most of the vehicle here, it runs on diesel and is a standard. I much prefer to drive the trooper because it is automatic, but it also runs on gasoline, which is much more expensive than diesel.

Don't get me wrong. I know how to drive a standard. But I learned to drive a standard in Lubbock, Texas. Think flat. I am sure the neighbors are still laughing at me as I went hopping up 76th Street. I am still laughing. Our Saturn is a standard and drive when I am in the states. In Little Rock, Baton Rouge, St. Louis, Borger. We are still talking flat. With Honduras being a mountainous country, I have not attempted to drive up and down these hill, except once when Nicole was here.

Last night Marc and I went a short way down the mountain in the Galloper. It is probably about time that I learn to drive these cars on mountains. I asked Marc if I could drive back home. He is wanting me to start driving one of the diesels, so, of course, he said yes.

I backed out of the parking place. No problem. I put it in first and realized I was on a large hill. I knew I was going to roll backward. I saw a couple of cars coming so I just sat there until they passed me. Probably not the smartest thing, but it worked. I killed the car one time and that was on one of the tumulos.

I really did pretty well going up and down the hills. I told Marc it was still going to be a long time before I felt comfortable enough driving one of the standards to take Rosy to school and back. Marc thought I did fine and would be taking Rosy in no time. We will see.

Terri

No comments: