Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Really Fun Day


With all the trips back and forth to San Pedro Sula and all the errands that have been necessary, I have not been able to be on a house site all summer. After devo this morning, Marc asked me to go to the warehouse to get a home box and deliver to the site where a house was being built today. I asked if I could stay and work since there were not too many errands today.
The house was being built in a village called Villeda Morales. Until yesterday, we had never worked in this village. And it just might be the village that gets the next church plant. Marc gave me directions and it was a beautiful drive. Deep in a canyon, surrounded by towering rocks and mountains.
When I arrived, there were two corner posts in and the crew wasn't huge. I knew I would get plenty of opportunity to work. I usually feed the wood to the people that are hammering. Today I was handed a hammer and put to work. There is a reason I do not usually hammer. I just can't get the right wrist action or elbow action or whatever action it takes to hammer. Today, I had the action down better and my nails were even in a straight line. I know you don't believe that Nicole, but it is the truth. I nailed all the way up one wall. I only hit my thumb once and got one finger caught on a nail head, causing a nasty cut. But that did not slow me down. When that wall was finished, trust me, I needed a break.
I was thinking I would rest and see what needed done. I was sure I was pretty much through. Lanetta had other ideas for me. She had me start on the window and that means I had to hammer those four inch nails. I have not ever tried that and it was hard work. But I was determined to drive those nails. And I did. I may not be able to move my arm tomorrow, but I did it. While I was busy with that window, a board from somewhere broke and and came flying out of nowhere and landed on me. Ouch.
After the house was completely finished, we prayed with the family, a mother and six kids. This family did not have anything and they were so grateful for the house and for everything. The lady told me she could not see and needed glasses. I need to do something about that soon. The home kit full of dishes, a skillet and many other items was given to her.
I had a great time today, not only getting to build on this house and working with some of my friends, but seeing the joy on the faces of the family receiving the house.
Terri

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Terri,
You have lost a lot of weight. I know where it went. I am carrying it around for you.

You look so good! And you sound very happy.

I am very thrilled that Honduras agrees with you so much. You are never afraid to try anything new. You are a hard worker. You are awesome.

I will have to email you about this week.

No grass has grown under my feet.

love you, Ginger