Monday, July 21, 2008

Bus Strike

Yesterday the price of fuel went up again. It goes up every Sunday. Regular gasoline is now $4.18 a gallon. Supreme and diesel are much higher than that.

This morning at 4:00, Steve left for San Pedro Sula with 10 people from Lexington, South Carolina. He called about 10:00 to say that bus drivers and buses were blocking the roads in San Pedro Sula and he did not know if he would get the passengers to the airport in time. The people I was with immediately stopped and prayed about the situation. He got a Honduran to get in the van and direct him to the airport by an unusual route. He did get the people to the airport and all luggage checked in in time to make their flight. As he drove back to Tegucigalpa, he saw buses parked all along the highway.

This afternoon, as I drove back to town, I saw fifty or more buses parked along the highway. There were very few buses driving on the highway or in town. The bus drivers were striking. Striking against the high cost of fuel. Any bus driver that chose to keep driving his bus, the striking drivers would block the road in an attempt to not let him pass.

I am not sure what the bus drivers thought they were accomplishing. The poor ride the buses. If they could not get to work, they would not be paid, thus putting them another day behind.

I came to the mission house around 4:30 and have not left since. I do not know if the strike continues at this hour. I hope not. If the cost of fuel continues to rise, I am not sure what will happen.

Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Hello,

I was devastated to hear that it is so many who are effected by these high prices! We have felt it too. I am praying everyday that gas prices will go down but I feel sure that those days are gone for good.
It makes us all humble when we have to worry about such things.

You are in the middle of a boiling pot! Try to remain safe.

A memorable birthday for you I am sure!

love,
Ginger

Carla and Daryl said...

i hope the strike won't last long. it really must be devastating to the people who depend on those buses to take them to work.

was it really your birthday yesterday?? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! i love ya!