Saturday, July 5, 2008

Aprons

Not long ago, a friend sent me an email which contained this article


The History of Aprons

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in th warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.

Author Unknown.

If you are much younger than me, you will not remember any of this and, perhaps, have never worn an apron. We don't use them in the United States much any more. I think that is because we now have so many clothes we don't have to worry about not getting them dirty and our clothes can be easily washed.

I have noticed that many, many women in Honduras wear aprons. All the time. Of course, they don't have many clothes and they cannot easily be washed. There is no street cleaning machines here. The streets are swept clean by people. All of the women street cleaners wear aprons. All of the women at the fruit market wear aprons. I see all kinds of women doing all kinds of things wearing aprons. Pretty aprons, with ruffles and frills. I think they wipe their hands and dry their children's tears and maybe clean some dirty ears and who knows what else.

Today at the market, the girl I buy cheese from had on a pretty orange apron. It was festive. She was dipping cheese all day long. Today I noticed her mood was festive as well. It matched her apron.

Someone suggested we sell aprons in the store. Karen and I tried to explain that Americans would not buy aprons. She did not understand and was confused.

I know there are practical reason why so many women here wear aprons, but I have found it is kind of fun to see the pretty aprons they wear while working. And even reminds me of days gone by, as both of my grandmothers and my mother often wore an apron.

Terri

5 comments:

Carla and Daryl said...

i love to see old aprons too. great story about aprons by the way. loved all the uses for an apron. i could see where that could be used as good material for a devo or sermon..ha!
i tried to get bella to wear one with me to bake cookies and she only wanted to wear it for a minute. but i do love seeing the old vintage aprons from years gone by too. who knows... they may make a comeback. i have seen some really adorable ones being sold around (madbags, for one!) and other unique stores so maybe they have made a comeback :)

fun blog today, carla

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
Next time you come to Columbus bring me one of those aprons from Honduras and I will buy it from you.
I didn't know that I could do so much with one apron and after reading your blog decided that I just might like to have one.

Last few days have been challenging and full. I enjoyed the time with family very much.

Love, Ginger

Bill Naylor said...

Terri and Marc: I have really enjoyed you blog. Aprons remind me of the good ole days. My mom used to make aprons, and me and my brother would try to sell them in the neighborhood. We got your names from Terry Rykard, and have been watching you writings for several months now. We are planning to come to Tegu for at least 4 months on July 17th. Hope to come and visit with you, and maybe help some if we can. God bless your work, Bill

Anonymous said...

My mother died in 2002 and I still have the last apron she used. It was the one she could always find and after the meal was finished she folded it and put it in the drawer for the next meal. When she went to the nursing home it is the thing she packed and took with her. On ocassion we would find it in the nursing home with he, wraped around the things she thought most of. I think she was packing to go home and the apron was the thing dear to her in which she could wrap her belongings in. That apron is darkened with things wiped up that would not come out in the wash but is one of the dearest things to me. linda

Anonymous said...

I have read your blog for the past few days and it's made me "homesick" for Honduras after just one trip down there! Reading your entry on the dump brought tears to my eyes--it's an image that I have everytime I close my eyes. I sent an email about our exerience at the dump to my long email list and it has resulted in some "publicity" for Torch! Rick has been interviewed by the editor of the paper here after he read the email I had sent out and he's going to do a series of articles about our trip for the Booneville paper! And, Rick will be speaking at the Rotary Club about our trip! And the BIG blessing was Kevin standing up in church the Sunday we got back and said that he had found the ministry for the church at Trace Crossing. He has big plans for next summer. I do believe that God worked in alot of different directions that week! And, I loved visiting with you--I can tell you that the trip back to San Pedro Sula went a lot faster than the trip the week before!

Keep writing! Love Linda Willis