Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Back to the Dump

Today I went back to the dump to feed people. This is still a heart-wrenching experience. It is so hard to believe that people that are made in God's image, just as I am, can find themselves in such a desperate situation.

The AIM team has committed to feeding these people once a week. While they are going out there every week, it has been a few weeks since I have been there. The landscape had changed. I guess that happens in a dump. There was more garbage closer to the road. There were more shelters made of sticks and garbage bags or other plastic. It is the rainy season and I guess these shelters offer some kind of relief. It rained hard on and off while we were there. Dozens of people crowded into the shelters. Maybe that kept a few dry during the day, but I cannot possibly imagine that would keep anyone anywhere near dry during the night.

I try to interact with the people, but today I observed and reflected. I watched the AIM team and the Torch interns as they handed out food and water. Many people now know Marc's red truck. They know we are bringing food and water. Some people start heading for the truck the minute they see it. The interns and AIMers are getting to know these people. Know some by name. Can visit with them in limited spanish. They get the food and water and walk down to some of the people to give them food and water. I watched as these kids sincerely touched and talked to these people in the most desperate of situations. I watched as they so kindly and lovingly handed food and water to people, making sure the kids, the handicapped, and the aged received some. How far we have come since that first dump feeding.

I was proud of these kids. You would have been proud, if you could have seen them. I think my observing taught me much about each of the Torch interns and the AIM teams.

The AIM team has big plans for this ministry. They plan to continue serving these people food once a week, but they plan to serve a hot meal once a month. Please pray for the dump ministry.

Terri

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terri,dear, thank you for your thoughtful reflections and vivid descriptions of the people of the dump.
Thank you for allowing us to "see" through your eyes the very nature of Jesus....who said, "whatever you do for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you do for me."
Keep smiling! God loves you and I love you!
Donna

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
Words just cannot express enough graditude we have that you and your group care so much.

Thank you for your sweet sweet life.
Love, Ginger

Carla and Daryl said...

how nice that the interns remain compelled to do more when you all probably are so tired you just want to sleep! i imagine when you see firsthand people living in these desperate conditions that don't even have a place to lay their head it must make you thankful for your own bed and everything else you are blessed with.
i was really touched by the compasssion you described and i know the hot meal will go over extremely well by the people there.
carla