Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Airport

As most of you know, the airport in Tegucigalpa has been closed since May 30. It has created hardship on many people in Tegucigalpa. It has created hardship on summer groups coming to help this country. It just has created hardship all the way around.

I have worried about the people out of work due to the airport closure. I have driven back
forth to San Pedro Sula at many different times of the day and night and been too exhausted to move the next day. Marc and I have been talking the logistics of getting these last few groups to and from San Pedro Sula when they are not coming and leaving the same day.

I have spent countless hours the last two weeks on the telephone with the travel agent trying to get all these tickets changed into San Pedro Sula. I have been frustrated that things were not happening faster. I had people that needed to know their itineraries. I finally got all the Continental passengers' changed itineraries to them. I still was not getting the ones on American. Today I had an email that all American tickets had been reissued and I would be receiving them by email shortly. I spent over 4 hours day today emailing all these itineraries. All but one. Some things in America work like things in Honduras. When I hit send on that last email, I felt like dancing.

Saturday the papers all said the airport was reopening. We did not know when exactly and there were several restrictions. So many restrictions that I did not pay too much attention, thinking it would never apply to the groups at this late date.

A few, brief minutes after I hit the send button on that last email, Marc called. He was at the airport and had just talked with people at the Continental counter. They say they begin flying into Tegucigalpa Monday, but only on Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Do what? Does that even make sense? I was stunned into silence, if you can believe that. Talk about a logistics nightmare. Some people coming to San Pedro Sula, some to Tegucigalpa. I regularly forget what day of the week it is. I will end up in San Pedro Sula on the day I should be in Tegucigalpa or in Tegucigalpa when I should be in San Pedro Sula.

I am happy for the people that have been out of work for over a month. But my mood of wanting to dance, quickly changed to one of not knowing whether to laugh or to cry. Of course, all the cliches I regularly say apply here. Welcome to Honduras. It is what it is.

For all you guys that are coming in the next two weeks, your travel plans remain the same until you here otherwise. It is going to be an awesome month and the devil is scared and he is trying to derail the work that God planned for us to do in advance.

Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
In your every day tasks nothing is normal. So as a woman who doesn't have a clue as to how hard your job is...I will just say that I am praying and praying for you as you are torn in so many directions. I think you would be in the "nut house" if not for your faith and always sensing the presence of God.
I would let all these things consume me if I were you. But then I am weak and you are strong.
God loves you so much as you already know and HE is going to see you through. I love you too.
Let's email tomorrow. Now I must close my eyes and get some sleep. 4 am comes early. I have to get some work done around here before I go to the Farmer's Market.
I am way behind on everything.
Love, Ginger

Carla and Daryl said...

terri, the multi-tasker...what an UNDERSTATEMENT! you must have been so frustrated about all of these inconveniences but you are so good to still be a positive presence there with all you have to get done (not to mention how tired you must be too!!)