Friday, July 25, 2008

A Day Hemmed in Prayer...

A day hemmed in prayer rarely comes unraveled. And on the converse, a day not hemmed in prayer unravels easily.

I had a hard time getting up this morning. Just a few more minutes and a few more minutes. When I finally got up, I did spend time reading my Bible and a few short minutes in prayer. But not that deep, tranquil time with God, sharing my burdens and concerns. The time alone with God that equips me for my day and gives me peace throughout the day. The time that strengthens me for whatever the day may bring. I thought that would be ok today because I really did need those extra few minutes of sleep.

While I did need the extra time, shortchanging my prayer time was not the answer. It was not long before I was unraveling. Things were bothering me that do not normally bother me. Nothing seemed to be going the way I wanted it to go. I forget where I am sometimes. I had another cup of coffee mid-morning. That really did not help. I had a meltdown. Not the kind of meltdown where I can gorge myself with chocolate. I had no chocolate on which to gorge. Just a crying, hysterical meltdown. That helped a little, but not significantly. I talked to Nicole. That always makes my day, but there was still something missing.

I should have been to Casa de Esperanza around 10:00 as today is payday for our employees and I knew they were anxiously waiting their pay. I arrived here at 1:00. I grabbed everything I needed and quickly began to get payroll done. I had other things on my to do list today as well. Paying the employees was most important. As I frantically rushed through the payroll, I remembered that lack of prayer time. I stopped everything and begin to talk to God. I could feel the tension leaving my body and some semblance of peace returning.

I cannot expect everything to run perfectly the rest of the day, I can just expect to handle it a bit better than I have thus far.

And a nap might help, too.

Terri

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Confessions of a missionary. how profound!

It has been a tough week for you.

One of these days it will be fun for you and Marc to relax and not have a schedule.

You truly need a little vacation.

Love, Ginger

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a bad day for you! But how descriptive of how I feel sometimes when life seems to be falling apart around...Why do we forget that God is with us?Thank you so much for sharing.