Monday, July 14, 2008

Early Morning Sights

In a country where thousands of people do not have electricity and it is daylight before 5:00 a.m. and dark shortly after 6:00 p.m., the country as a whole starts its day early. I am an early riser, but rarely am I pulling out the gate before 6:00 a.m. on a weekday. This morning I did leave that early.

In Santa Ana, and all down the mountain, there were dozens of people waiting on the bus. Waiting for a bus at six o'clock in the morning so they can maybe be to work by 8:00. I saw men carrying shovels and hoes as they walked to work. I saw other men carrying machettis. Once upon a time I was afraid when I saw a man carrying a machetti; now I know he is just a working man walking to or from work. A machetti is used to cut grass. Talk about back-breaking work.

I saw women and children, some quite small, hauling the water and the wood. Women washing clothes by hand on the pila and cooking over woodburning stoves. There were the wood sellers loading their donkeys with wood so they could ride up and down the street trying to sell the wood and, hopefully, at the end of the day have enough money to feed their kids.

I saw more than one man yoking his team of oxen and by the time I got to Comayagua, I saw several oxen carts pulling their loads of wood or dirt or other heavy items. Of course, I saw men herding their cattle right through the main street of Santa Ana. But we see that all the time.

The street cleaners in their bright orange vests had their frayed brooms sweeping every leaf and bit of dirt out of the streets and business driveways.

I saw many things I would never see in the United States. And it was just another reminder of how hard the Honduran people have to work.

Terri

3 comments:

Carla and Daryl said...

terri, your blogs are so filled with great description and detail. i feel like i am there with you watching the goings ons. it sure puts me to shame though because i know i don't work that hard and i think i'm doing good to get up by 6 much less be out of the house by that time! hondurans really are hardworking people.

Ginger said...

Dear Terri,
Carla beat me to the comment section. She got up really early to beat me I see.
Your observations of hard working people are interesting to say the least.
I think you have settled in and see things the way they see them instead of the way most gringos would see them.
Your compassion shows in your writing. You have so much to give and are a blessing to so many.
I hope that you will take time to rest soon.
I know the summer time groups coming and going is making you, their chaeuffer and driver work very hard.
How is Marc holding up ? If you are in ten different places at once, I can only imagine what his schedule is like.
Time for me to get off here. Full day. Will report in later.
I truly feel your emotions when I read about your days. You paint a picture in my mind of a world that americans cannot grasp. But I am lucky enough to see through your eyes.
Hopefully, you will find a way to remedy not getting enough sleep soon.
love, Ginger

Just Joni said...

Dear Terri,

I try to read your blogs daily. I so appreciate how well you write, I feel like I am there with your group. My daughter is Andrea from the AIM Group. I look very forward to some day meeting you and seeing the sights with you. Thank you so much for sharing everything on your blog. I know that Andrea and the AIM Team are in God's Hands, but I am also thankful that you and Mark are there to keep them organized and focused. Thank you so much, and may God continue to bless all!

I have been telling everyone about the "Dump Mission" and we are receiving donations. We will forward the donations to Andrea and she and her team and use it as needed.

Thank you once again! Joni Focht