Friday, February 15, 2013

Extended Hours

I have not ever thought school in Honduras was adequate.  There are several reasons I think this and one of those is they don't go to school very many hours.  Four and a half hours a day is not a very long school day.  Then you subtract the time for recess and snack, it is down to a really short day. 

Someone other than me, must have obviously thought the same thing.  The kids will be supposedly going from 6:45 to 12:20 on Monday through Thursday.  That is an hour and fifteen minutes earlier on the front end and twenty minutes earlier on the back end.  Then on Friday, the hours will be 6:45 until 2:00.  And, on Saturday from 8:00-10:00.  Then extended hours during the week have not begun, but, tomorrow is the first day for Saturday school.  No one at Casa de Esperanza is excited about getting up at 5:40 on Saturday morning.  That would include me.

After two weeks of school, there have been no strikes.  I think we can expect strikes to begin soon.  In my opinion, Fridays and Saturdays are probably the day we will have the children at home.  Unless the teachers get a raise for all these extra hours, I don't think they will work them.  We will see.

But for tonight, the children are tucked snug in their beds.

Terri

No comments: