Thursday, September 27, 2012

Five Years and Counting

Five years ago (technically, five years ago on Saturday- September 29, 2007) I arrived in Santa Ana.  I had been to Santa Ana several times, but this time was different.  This was the first time I arrived in the journey of calling Santa Ana home.  I had been on several mission trips to Honduras, but I was a bit scared to be moving there.  Well, perhaps I was more than a bit scared.  I had seriously prayed over the decision that Marc and I made.  I knew God would be watching over us every step of the way.  But, I was still scared.  And, I was so clueless.  Clueless as to what I was doing.

I am not sure what I thought I would be doing, but what I am doing is nothing like I envisioned.  I quickly found needs at Casa de Esperanza that needed to be filled.  I had the talents and the know-how to fill some of those needs and plunged into the tasks before me.  And, I fell in love with those precious children. Those children are my life now.  I continue to be amazed how God brought Karen and I together.  Her strengths and weaknesses and my strengths and weaknesses form a great team.  And, now Nicole has been added to that team.  God always knows what He is doing.

At first, the welcome-to-Honduras-days were frustrating.  They are still frustrating.  But, most of the time these days, I am not wanting to give up and quit.  I thought I would learn Spanish rapidly and be afraid to drive.  I can drive any where I want to go, but I still struggle with the language.  It will not conquer me.

I thought Marc and I would be working together all day.  And that we would have time to see the rest of the country and the rest of Central America.  Marc and I have separate jobs and see each other morning and night, just like most other working people.  There is no time for travel.  I am not complaining.

The ministry has grown beyond your wildest dreams.  We never thought about the dump or containers or over 30 groups in one year.  God has blessed these efforts.  We, too, have been blessed.  Hundreds of people have fallen in love with the Honduran people, just as we have, and want to be a part of helping and ministering.

Once in a while, someone asks when we will be leaving.  We don't know.  Thankfully, we own no home in the States.  And, Santa Ana is truly home.  We will be here as long as we are able or when we see the poverty that exists and are no longer bothered by it.  When that happens, it will be time to leave.  But, for now, we have the best jobs in the world.

Terri




No comments: